Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question ref. standard transmission issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Auntie Crazy

Default Question ref. standard transmission issues.

I initially had this post where it probably shouldn't have been (in another's thread that referenced the transmission issues); I apologize for the double-posting!

- - - - -

I am researching in preparation for buying my very first pony car ever. Initially, I planned to order a 2011 GT Premium, 401A, with some very specific options for delivery this August, but I just found out that I can't order 11's anymore; instead, I'll have to pick up one that's already on a dealer floor somewhere.

This puts me into a bit of a quandary: Do I get something that's close to what I want, but not exact, and maybe get a bit of a price-break on it, or do I wait and order a pricier 2012 exactly to my specifications? (These specifications aren't at all exotic, they're just my personal preferences. The paint job, on the other hand.... *grin*)

In addition - and this is really the question I'm seeking an answer for - I've driven both auto and stick and far prefer driving a standard, but I'm alarmed at all these comments ref. the '11's Chinese-made standard transmission parts.

Does anyone know if the '12's will have the same transmissions? If so, do you think Ford will have had the manufacturer correct the deficiencies, or will they have the exact some issues as the '11's?

Thank you all in advance for your answers! I've waited a long time to get this car and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. :-) I've had serious issues with Chinese-sourced materials in the past and the experience has made me doubly-leery whenever I come across a similar scenario; as much as I prefer it, I'll forgo the stick if I know it is likely to cost me time, aggravation, etc. in the not very distant future...

AC
Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Auntie Crazy

Well, it looks like all the answer currently available is in this thread: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...ual-shift.html, which doesn't inspire me with all that much confidence. On the other hand, I'm not placing my order right away so perhaps this issue will be properly addressed by then. One can hope!

Ah, yes, I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 2012. I don't want whatever's available, I want *my* car. :-)

Thanks for listening, all! I'll participate more as I get closer to ordering and have more specific questions.

Oh, speaking of which, I just realized today that I can't have my 18" Bullitts and a Brembo package both... anyone have a recommendation for a smaller brake package that'll look good behind the Bullitts?

AC
Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Think of all the 2011 Mustangs out there with manuals that are not on a forum. The tranny issue is not as widespread as the forums make them seem. I know several locally who do not get on car forums and they have no issues. Mine is good at nearly 5000 miles on it. If Chinese products bother you that bad.....good luck thru life....lol, hard to survive without them nowdays, not that I like it either.

I have read where Ford may be coming out with a fix for the problem units but who knows.....

BY Aug, I doubt there will be any '11s on the lots still new. You will have to watch the dates for ordering a '12 and do it that way or just see if your dealer can locate a car already built to what you want. Never know what is out there and dealers can swap cars. I have found a couple new cars that were exactly what I was ordering....and no wait.

As for the brake package, I believe Ford only offers the one so the rest would have to be after market. My factory brakes work great for spirited street driving. Do some research on them and watch for wheel size recommendations.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Auntie Crazy

Thanks for replying, AzPete.

Originally Posted by AzPete
Think of all the 2011 Mustangs out there with manuals that are not on a forum. The tranny issue is not as widespread as the forums make them seem. I know several locally who do not get on car forums and they have no issues. Mine is good at nearly 5000 miles on it. ....

BY Aug, I doubt there will be any '11s on the lots still new. You will have to watch the dates for ordering a '12 and do it that way or just see if your dealer can locate a car already built to what you want. Never know what is out there and dealers can swap cars. I have found a couple new cars that were exactly what I was ordering....and no wait.
True, on all counts.

The dealer I'm working with has searched in a 300 mile radius and come up with one '11 very close to what I want, but the differences are deal breakers for me. I want a pony that stands out a bit from the stock pack, but I have no modding experience, so I'm thinking that difference will have to come from things I can pay for... like the glass roof, Bullitt wheels and custom graphics. You know?

Originally Posted by AzPete
As for the brake package, I believe Ford only offers the one so the rest would have to be after market. My factory brakes work great for spirited street driving. Do some research on them and watch for wheel size recommendations.
That's why I'm here. ;-)

Thanks again!

AC
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM
reckles1

Default Re - Trans issues

I recently have experienced numerous shifting issues on my 2011 5.0

The 1st Issue
My Clutch Stayed Pined To The Floor – After launching my car from a dead stop in 1st gear, I was not able to shift into 2nd until my RPM’s came down.

- Solution -
As it turns out the transmission is designed with some kinda’ “Shift Override” feature preventing the vehicle from shifting into 2nd when it’s at high RPM’s with no load.

Ford came out with a TSB – Replacing the Clutch / Break Peddle Assy. & Master Cylinder. Although, I really don’t think this addressed the issue because all this really does is make the clutch peddle come back up but the feature will still prevent you from going into 2nd. Seems to me Ford could have saved allot of money by doing a computer update.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2nd Issue
It increasingly became harder to shift into gear & clutch started engaging closer to the floor. It almost seemed as if my clutch was not fully engaging and had to knuckle into gear. Over time the issues progressively got worse. At first I noticed it when shifting into 2nd then when shifting into 1st & 2nd, then I noticed it when shifting into 5th & 6th as well. I also noticed that on cold starts it started to grind going into Reverse & 1st gear.

- Solution -

Finally after taking my car in several times concerning this issue without any resolve, the issue finally became bad enough for the technician to experience what I had been telling them. When the dealer contacted ford and advised them of the issue, Ford told the dealer to replace the tension plate bolts. However I insisted on being there when the dropped the transmission so I could take a look at what was going on. As it turned out… what had happened was all five tension plate bolts were loose. That caused the guide pins to shear off, and as a direct result they had to replace the tension plate, throughout barring, clutch, and flywheel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3rd Issue

Why is Ford not putting a TSB or Recall out on this? I am not the first guy with a 2011 mustang to experience this issue. They obviously know there is an issue with the bolts backing out because the replacement bolts they sent were the exactly the same except for the replacement washers were flat instead of lock-washers.

I hear that the reason why the tension plate bolt is backing out is because ford had a bad torque wrench on the assembly line. I can not say for sure if this info is true or not, but after what I have seen it makes sense.

When I got the 2011, I understood that there were going to be a few hiccups that may need to be worked out, but to say that I’m disappointed with the way they are handling them would be an understatement!

? ? ? Solution ? ? ?

! ! ! Ford Needs To Pony Up ! ! !