Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 03:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!

About 8 months ago I installed a Steeda billet throttle body spacer on my Stang (http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-b...d-mustang.html). At that time I already had a Steeda intake with their high flow elbow and I noticed that spacer pushed out the thottle body a little too far and the elbow was connecting at a funny angle. I figured it shouldn't be a problem even though I found it more difficult than it should be to put the elbow and the silicone piece that connects MAF sensor together. Eversince then I noticed that in cold weather my RPM jumps up and down sometimes and one time the car even shut down on me but it was inside a parking lot with some crappy air so I figured it's just a problem with low RPM-- it never happened again so I didnt bother to make adjustments but during cold weather it would still act up. Yesterday was relatively cold and rained and I heard my serpentine belt squeak a twice (even though the car has 52k miles on it so far) so I went to the dealership today and got a new belt. Well guess what? While replacing the belt I came to find out that my intake elbow is cracked where it connects to the silicone hose, probably because of constant pressure it was under because of the spacer. Those of you who have or plan on purchasing aftermarket intakes-- stay away from this 100 dollar POS because in my case it didn't improve the RPG by even 1/10th of a gallon (versus 2 mpg they claim), but now I'm stuck with a cracked intake elbow which I'm trying to put together and a good chance to possibly pay 120 for another one if I can't get it right. Steeda, please take this worthless garbage off the market, because as much as I didn't believe in these spacers I bought mostly because of the brand name. Which Mustang fan doesn't trust Steeda and their products? I guess that was a big mistake
Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Your first mistake was buying a throttle body spacer. They do make good paper weights...
Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

That's all I've heard about TB spacers... they're worthless and a waste of money.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Your first mistake was buying a throttle body spacer. They do make good paper weights...

I know, I know. Like I said I felt that I can trust Steeda and believed their every statement and trusted every product they made, but I'm posting this hoping that at least 1 person out there will read this and think twice about buying extra lb on weight for their front end that won't do anything, but cause headache. I took some pics too. Btw while removing TB spacer I remembered that it used bolts different from the original ones which were shorter at the top and double ended studs at the bottom so for a second I thought I was stuck because if I put the elbow back on to drive it to a store it's going to crack again, but then I can't take the spacer out because then I won't be able to put the TB on. Luckily I saved the box that TB spacer came in and had the bolts and installation instructions in it-- it's been so long I thought I got rid of that.
Attached Thumbnails BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!-tb-spacer.jpg   BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!-tb-spacer1.jpg   BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!-tb-spacer-2.jpg   BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!-final-result.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

what, you mean TB spacers are worthless?
i dont believe it!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
what, you mean TB spacers are worthless?
i dont believe it!
They give your Stang 2-4 extra horsepower and extra 2 MPG at least. Weren't you paying attention?! lol
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

I'd contact Steeda and see if they would send out a new elbow. Nothing to lose in asking! Those shouldn't be that fragile - especially since you were using it with their brand of spacer.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRaider
I'd contact Steeda and see if they would send out a new elbow. Nothing to lose in asking! Those shouldn't be that fragile - especially since you were using it with their brand of spacer.
Yeah, I'll probably do that tomorrow and see what comes out of it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Wow, somebody ADMITS to buying AND installing a TB spacer. Were you under duress when you bought it? Or a drug induced stupor? Research, research, research.

BTW, would you be interested in some land I own in the everglades?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Wow, somebody ADMITS to buying AND installing a TB spacer. Were you under duress when you bought it? Or a drug induced stupor? Research, research, research.

BTW, would you be interested in some land I own in the everglades?
Makes me wonder who writes reviews such as these:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmr-2005gt-tb-spacer.html

Quick Reply: BEWARE-- Steeda throttle body spacer!