Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension advice!

Ok folks, here's my question. I have an 06 Roush charged Mustang that has been fairly modified. All I've done to the suspension though is to lower it a bit with Steeda's ultralight springs. I want to go a bit further to tighten up the suspension. Please give me your thoughts/advice on some options. I dont want to completely redo the entire suspension but just tighten it up a bit. I know the obvious place to start would be a good strut tower brace for the front and then...... Also, is it worth the money to install hi performance coil-on-plugs connection kits? Have a lot of you done this with a supercharged Mustang?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beast
Ok folks, here's my question. I have an 06 Roush charged Mustang that has been fairly modified. All I've done to the suspension though is to lower it a bit with Steeda's ultralight springs. I want to go a bit further to tighten up the suspension. Please give me your thoughts/advice on some options. I dont want to completely redo the entire suspension but just tighten it up a bit. I know the obvious place to start would be a good strut tower brace for the front and then...... Also, is it worth the money to install hi performance coil-on-plugs connection kits? Have a lot of you done this with a supercharged Mustang?
I'm not a suspension expert but there are a few things you're missing. If you lowered the car you'd also need to get an adjustable panhard bar because you might not realize it, but your rear end is probably slightly to the side right now. Also you need adjustable LCA's or UCA's to correct your pinion angle. Also, you might want to change your stock shocks to something else like Tokico D-specs which is what a lot of people prefer. Another thing you can do is the A-arms-- they should tighten up the front end and make it lighter, as well. Btw, have you done any camber adjustment to get rid of the negative camber in the front?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I'm not a suspension expert but there are a few things you're missing. If you lowered the car you'd also need to get an adjustable panhard bar because you might not realize it, but your rear end is probably slightly to the side right now. Also you need adjustable LCA's or UCA's to correct your pinion angle. Also, you might want to change your stock shocks to something else like Tokico D-specs which is what a lot of people prefer. Another thing you can do is the A-arms-- they should tighten up the front end and make it lighter, as well. Btw, have you done any camber adjustment to get rid of the negative camber in the front? I'm not sure about coil-on-plug connection kits on Stangs, but I've read an article in some magazine where they did it on a Ford GT and got 5 peak hp out of it (I believe they were either MSD or GMS) so you decide whether it's worth it or not. Keep in mind that some ppl have problems with those.
Sorry- double post
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you dont need COP's
you can upgrade them when the stockers go bad.
but as long as the stockers are still good, no need to upgrade.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Great! Thats good info. Yeah, when I had the springs installed all the adjustments were made to make up for the change. I've had lowered for about two years now with no issues. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

If you go nuts and lower it a lot, you're looking at an adjustable Panhard bar, a bump steer kit, and adjustable rear lower control arms with relocation brackets.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beast
Ok folks, here's my question. I have an 06 Roush charged Mustang that has been fairly modified. All I've done to the suspension though is to lower it a bit with Steeda's ultralight springs. I want to go a bit further to tighten up the suspension. Please give me your thoughts/advice on some options. I dont want to completely redo the entire suspension but just tighten it up a bit. I know the obvious place to start would be a good strut tower brace for the front and then......
Your first step should be to upgrade the shocks and struts. Koni Sports or Tokico D-specs (in that order of preference) if you want adjustability; Koni STRt's if you don't. This is the step that will "tighten up" the suspension, because firmer shock/strut damping will slow and/or reduce the car's cornering roll motions and the pitch motions (nose rise & tail squat under acceleration and nose dive under braking). Particularly if your current shocks & struts are getting soft enough to let the car bobble a bit during enthusiastic driving.

A strut tower brace isn't going to be worth a whole lot performance-wise. But it can make the car "feel" a little more solid by reducing a few structural vibrations or chasing them off to a frequency that you don't notice as much.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-23-2011 at 07:47 PM.