Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Head Unit Install

I know this is audio visual, but I figured some people here don't venture that way, and might get some mod ideas from this, so here it goes.

Basically, I have a Pioneer Z-120BT with a Magden M1.b Performance Computer displayed on it. The Magden taps into the OBD-II port and pulls out all the gauge information it has to offer. The Magden is fully customizable, and I can change the gauges to display any of the info that is picked up from the OBD-II, I just haven't gotten around to changing them yet.

Here are some pictures...didn't have much time since I'm back at school, but they aren't too bad:

Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Nice...Is this a program to DL onto your Pioneer? Where does it hook up to the OBC?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

No, the gauges are displayed by a Magden M1.b performance computer, the computer plugs into the OBD-II port, and then the display attaches to the Pioneer through a composite video cable. The Magden also has S-Video and VGA outputs.

Unfortunately, Magden stopped manufacturing the computers, but I think they are currently looking for someone to purchase the technology from them and pick it back up, which would be nice, because there is a lot that can be done with it that hasn't been finished yet.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
No, the gauges are displayed by a Magden M1.b performance computer, the computer plugs into the OBD-II port, and then the display attaches to the Pioneer through a composite video cable. The Magden also has S-Video and VGA outputs.

Unfortunately, Magden stopped manufacturing the computers, but I think they are currently looking for someone to purchase the technology from them and pick it back up, which would be nice, because there is a lot that can be done with it that hasn't been finished yet.
How much did the Magden cost? I have a clarion headunit with an unused video in and that looks pretty cool. Any idea of where to get one or something similar that i could use?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure exactly. It was a gift. I know they retail for somewhere in the $600s, but they don't make them anymore. She found it used on another forum, I think the guy owned a Subaru or something.

There are similar products, but nothing that looks as polished as the Magden. I believe on of them is called an HKS Camp 2 and another one is called a Blitz R-VIT DS. I researched those, but I didn't really want any of them unless I could get my hands on the Magden, and it was a huge surprise when she gave it to me.

The price seemed really high, but when you think about the cost of all the phsyical gauges...it's not bad at all. I just didn't like any of the gauge pod mounts, so this seemed like a good idea.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

that looks cool i like it
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

That is really trick
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

That is very cool, but even if they still made them I'm not sure I could swallow $600
Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

What gauges can you display? I'm guessing there are more than just what you have on your screen.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by allinon72
That is very cool, but even if they still made them I'm not sure I could swallow $600
Thanks, it's definitely not for everyone. To be honest, I don't think I would have ever purchased them if it wasn't given as a gift, but as a gift, it was awesome.

The price isn't near as bad when you think about it though. Considering the prices of physical gauges, plus the mounting pods (A-Pillar or Console, etc), it gets pretty expensive, plus you don't have the ability to change the gauges to display different information if desired. The Magden will also Data Log to a Flash Drive if you ask it to, and the Dynamic HP and Dynamic Torque are really cool options. $600 worth? I'm not really sure, but it's definitely unique and flashy, but also functional.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Install