Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feelin' ambitious...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

You got the ketchup and mustard thing going on.
Just messing with you it looks great. Got to say if I was working like that my car would be dirty and have nothing done to it. Good job.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by Tanner05
You got the ketchup and mustard thing going on.
nice Tanner..

nah.. baker.. looks great, just i'm of the opinion that if you change out your calipers and they're a certain color, no biggie, but if you're staying stock calipers going to actually paint it, i'd go color match or stick with a contrasting theme (black in your case) but thats my opinion.. no offense intended, it really does look good..
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Haha, but I guess you have to decide on a focal point for your car then. You only want 1 strong one, and IMO, calipers should not be it. Wheels, stripes, color, whatever. Every other exterior mod should compliment the focal point. That is why I plan on painting mine black, so they blend in and do not stand out like the ugly stock ones do. Fortunately that red isn't so eye catching that it takes away from the rest of the car. I think it will look good, but we need full car pics!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

I'm really liking the painted calipers. So much so that I ordered the kit you were talking about off of Amazon at 3am off of impulse. Oh well, I had planned on getting it eventually anyway for when the weather gets a tiny bit nicer and I paint my Bullitts black.

Also, how long did you let them cure? I rarely have two days off in a row, so I would have to talk one of my parents into letting me borrow one of their cars for a day or two.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMan1718
I'm really liking the painted calipers. So much so that I ordered the kit you were talking about off of Amazon at 3am off of impulse. Oh well, I had planned on getting it eventually anyway for when the weather gets a tiny bit nicer and I paint my Bullitts black.

Also, how long did you let them cure? I rarely have two days off in a row, so I would have to talk one of my parents into letting me borrow one of their cars for a day or two.
Thats cool man, I literally let them dry for 3 hours after application, put the wheels on and drove to work. With paints that are "high temp" you have to heat them in order for them to cure. Such is the case with this brake caliper paint and the paint used for valve covers. Curing is one of the fun parts
Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Thats cool man, I literally let them dry for 3 hours after application, put the wheels on and drove to work. With paints that are "high temp" you have to heat them in order for them to cure. Such is the case with this brake caliper paint and the paint used for valve covers. Curing is one of the fun parts
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't take that into account.

Also, did you use the brush that comes with the kit? The reviews said it isn't verygood. And if not, what did you use instead?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMan1718
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't take that into account.

Also, did you use the brush that comes with the kit? The reviews said it isn't verygood. And if not, what did you use instead?
The reviewers were right, that brush sucks. But I did use it I just removed brush hairs that came free and stuck to the caliper whenever it happened. It does the job but if I were to use a better brush I'd just go to the local sherwin williams and buy a nice 1" brush designed for edging. Good luck with the project! Let me know how it turns out.