Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flew over a curb

Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

one time in my t-bird I had the green arrow at the traffic light so instead of slowing much down I took the turn a bit to hard and some how ended up on the other side of a bush at a gas station (I think I some how jumped the curb at an angle and pushed past the bush)

scared the **** outa me tha the road was that slick and I had done something so dumb

a few more feet (ok about 20 more) and I would have hit a gas pump at the station and really have been in deep ****

after that I was worried for months that something had to have heppened to the car's underside but it was fine (btw this was a few years before I bought my mustang and have never taken that turn anywhere near as hard ever again)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by mustangdriver52
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area. Couldn't find a "problems/issues" section.

I recently purchased a 2012 V6 Mustang with the performance package.

Today, while trying to back out of a stall on an incline, I had "thought" I put the car in reverse. And to avoid hitting the curb in front of me, I had the handbrake engaged slightly so I wouldn't roll forward. Well, it was in first gear and upon releasing the hand brake the car violently lurched forward and cleared a curb the size of a sidewalk (the entire car including all four wheels mounted it). Due to the stiff suspension on the performance package, it felt like I hit a brick wall.

The curb was about 6 inches in height. I checked the car thoroughly, the rims are not damaged, the underbody is not damaged (slight scratch on sub frame). The car drives fine, no weird noises and the steering does not pull in any direction.

However, being the paranoid new car owner I am, I still feel like I broke something. I have a hard time believing I lucked out and did zero damage to the car. Is there anything else I should be concerned about or look at? Could something like this bring problems in the future that may not be apparent immediately? Is it worth getting checked out by the dealer?

Thanks in advance.
You need to change your username to mustangdriverneedspractice.
LOL just joking. Sounds like everything is o.k.

Wont hurt to have the dealer look at it to make sure though.
All they have to do is put it on the lift and give it a quick walk around.
Plus is something is damaged you have insurance ya know.
It may put your mind at ease and better safe than sorry is always a good
motto to have.

Oh and on the serious side of that remark I made at first.
You REALLY need to pay more attention.
You DID get lucky in that it seems nothing is damaged.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
mustangdriver52

Originally Posted by BIGPHIL
Another nice thing about the TR6060...reverse is on the opposite side from 1st so this doesn't happen ;-)
The six speed is very new to me. My stupidity for not triple checking I was in reverse instead of 1st.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Jeckler

I'd have the alignment and wheel trueing/balance checked and go from there.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

These cars are tough. When I first got mine I took it to a local auto X day in the Jet Hawks parking lot. I spun out and slid the passenger rear wheel into a curb. It bent the axle but amazingly nothing else was hurt. I was going about 60 mph. Driving back home there was obviously something wrong. If you don't notice anything wrong and nothing bad is happening when driving, then I would say you're good. Just keep an ear and eye open just incase.

Joshua Ross
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Had my GT for about a month. Was making a U-turn in the Sams club parking lot and somehow just never saw this Square concrete divider thingy, aka a curb in the middle of the lot. Scared the crap out of me, figured I broke something, but in the end it was all good.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

This is why I'm glad I got the backup camera..no mistaking reverse (although I did once)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 AM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangdriver52
The six speed is very new to me. My stupidity for not triple checking I was in reverse instead of 1st.
No worries at all...we all make mistakes. With the TR6060 you can hit 5th by accident when trying to go into reverse if you not being attentive. I have done this a couple of times, but being in such a high gear, the car barely moves when you hit 5th by accident. Hopefully everything is cool with your car and you can go smash on some fart can won-ton soup cars

(Not bashing on Asian's with that comment...my gf is Chinese and she is awesome! She also hates fart can ricers ;-)
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Your probably OK. One of my friends went straight over a curb like the in his 07. I scraped the metal under the rockers pretty good but no real damage.

That would suck having Reverse and First right nest to each other. Is there any kind of reverse lockout?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
2011Kona3.7L
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BIGPHIL
Another nice thing about the TR6060...reverse is on the opposite side from 1st so this doesn't happen ;-)
One nice thing about the MT82 is there is a reverse lockout so if you're paying attention you're good.

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
That would suck having Reverse and First right nest to each other. Is there any kind of reverse lockout?
Yes, its just like every VW and BMW I've driven, all of them have Reverse next to 1st with a reverse lockout where you push down (toward the earth) to access reverse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flew over a curb