Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion/Feedback on FRPP Hot Rod Cams & Detroit Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I like my Detroit Rockers... they drive like stock and I haven't heard anybody complain about the DRs having the hunting idle problem that many Hot Rod owners had. I can let out the clutch at idle and there is no bucking - drivability is great!

Ask Blacksmoke about his hunting idle problem... it seemed to plague him until he sold his car for the shelby.
The "Hunting" issue could very well be the tune, no?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
The "Hunting" issue could very well be the tune, no?
I saw an older thread where Blacksmoke stated that is idle issue was the result of a bad tune. He might want to verify if i am correct or not though.

Just wish I could find a good video clip of the frpp hot rods like what Brenspeed has on there website for there DR's.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:36 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

There have a been a few threads about tuning issues with hot rods but that goes for the DR's too. U wont go wrong with either one. Im not sure the price on the Hot rods but that could be your determining factor in this. Like I have said it comes to what you have for exhaust and gears. Really the DR's and hot rods are almost the same. Just go with one
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 07mark
I saw an older thread where Blacksmoke stated that is idle issue was the result of a bad tune. He might want to verify if i am correct or not though.

Just wish I could find a good video clip of the frpp hot rods like what Brenspeed has on there website for there DR's.

The hunting idle issue IS DEFINITELY the tune.
I wrestled with a couple of tunes that were off until I got one that was on par. To add to this, I had a friend with Detroit Rockers that had the same problem, and a friend that had some Comp Cams with the same problem. All were in the tune.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

It took the tuning companies a while to get a handle on the Hot Rod cams but now they've gotten them down pat. My cams with the Bama tune were awesome. Hell, I'm running them with the Whipple and loving them.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I had the Hot Rod Cams on the 06GT.

I will tell you the Hot Rods do sound better than the Rockers in my opinion.
A buddy of mine had virtually the SAME setup as me and our tunes were set to the same idle etc. and we both agreed mine sounded a WORLD better.
I think I am going to order FRPP HR tomorrow, since I won't being putting on L/T for awhile this well be for sound and a little HP gain.

What mufflers did you have installed with your HR's?

Basically I will being running a Steeda CAI, FRPP throttle body, 3:73 gears, Magnaflow catted x-pipe with FRPP Stingers, and the FRPP HR cams.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I had Bassani race mufflers.
But I also had long tubes and a high flow catted x.

Mufflers are pretty much all about taste and how you personally like the car to sound.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dont change your mufflers until you add the longtubes. Its a win with either cam you choose. I love the sound from my detroit rockers.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I would get the FRPP HR's personally. Unless you plan to stick with Brenspeed 100% for all further mods and tuning, you might run into issues getting the DR's tuned using other shops since they aren't that prevalent.

I'm hoping to buy the HR's myself in 1-2 weeks and have BBR do the tune again. They've got a ton of satisfied customers over on S197forum (myself included)
Originally Posted by 808muscle
Dont change your mufflers until you add the longtubes.
ditto...my LT's and OR/H were loud on the stocker mufflers...it's beastly now with the FRPP Stingers. I set off car alarms in parking lots when she starts up