Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gt500 pump install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Thanks timmbo but I am honestly sick of this remote tuning crap. I know a TONNNNN of people have great experience with JDM, BBR, VMP and brenspeed email tunes but I dont like it. I want a tuner tuning my car thats right infront of them. I would love to go to JDM but the extra $1k for a the gt500 pumps and install isnt worth it.

Ive found a few good tuners in my area. Sansone Ford (aka Wicked Motorsports), Mustang Magic, Tillman Speed, Evolution Performance, and Big Daddy performance (but a tune was $675!!!!). Anyone heard anything about one of these tuners mentioned?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

i have heard of tillman and evolution. Evolution seems to make splashes everytime a new mustang comes out. They seem to be the first to take a new mustang to 11 sec and then to 10sec 1/4 miles
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah thats why I was hoping for evolution, but the guy I know said they may be booked up. I am going to try Tillman, sansone, and evolution and see which one is best. Sansone ford is a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealership with its own performance shop lol. How awesome is that!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Just spoke with Chris Tillman over at Tillman speed and he said he is going to try and get me in for a dyno tune next saturday!!!! I will be away this weekend so it works out great. I am still going to call Evolution performance and see what they can do for me but if they are as backed up as they seem I will stick with Tillman (both are up the block from eachother lol). Is it true that Chris Rose still tunes there? I didnt want to ask, but he said "his tuner" has a full time job so he only does tuning for Tillman at night or on the weekends. (Doesnt chris rose work full time at bama?)
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if Chris Rose is still tuning at Tillman but one thing I can tell you is you don't need anything more than a BAP with the M90 setup. I think you are placing too much emphasis on needing a dyno tune. The mail order tunes for the M90, from AM, BBR and such, are very good and all you need to do, for safety and piece of mind, is run a data log after everything is finished to make sure the tune doesn't need any tweaks. A dyno tune is almost always better than a mail order but you don't have an exotic setup and it is easy to tune so I doubt any difference between them would be worth the extra cost.

Earl
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I installed GT500 pumps in my 2010 ... Really not that hard since the harness is plug and play. Hardest part is running the power up to the battery and finagling the pump into the hole.

I have a JDM tune. JDM swears up and down that they do not have to retune after a GT500 pump install. We have gone back and forth both via email and on the phone and Jim assures me that the tune I bought before my pump install is all that is needed after my pump install.

Tousley Ford can get GT500 pump kit for around $650 I believe ...
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

JDM is the only one I know that claims nothing needs changing with the GT500 pumps. The voltages for the pumps are different. Will the pumps work without changes? Sure they will work but it will work better with the correct changes to the tune. Why spend all the money for GT500 pumps and not get the max results from them?

Earl
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
JDM is the only one I know that claims nothing needs changing with the GT500 pumps. The voltages for the pumps are different. Will the pumps work without changes? Sure they will work but it will work better with the correct changes to the tune. Why spend all the money for GT500 pumps and not get the max results from them?

Earl
Yes ... I have talked to other tuners and they do change their tune for GT500 pumps. Either JDM's tune was already setup for GT500 pumps or they see no benefit to doing any modification.

The reason I installed GT500 pumps was that during my Dyno Pull I hit 430 HP at 6K RPM and didn't want to go any higher because the AFR started creeping above 12 at around 5300 RPM. Jim said I needed more fuel even though my duty was only 85% at 6K RPM. Side effect of GT500 tables running a GT pump ?? I have no idea. But only 85% duty at 430HP does seem low for a GT pump. I installed the pumps and have not had a chance to get it on a Dyno and check it again. My UEGO shows in the mid 11's around redline.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I didn't find the GT500 pump install to be that hard. A little time consuming squeezing the new pump in, but there is a great write-up on it here somewhere. Tools needed are minimal and I believe the wiring was all plug and play.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

So what are you guys saying? Get the gt500 pumps and stay with JDM? I just dont want the extra money when the BAP does a good enough job for the mods I have. $650 vs $230.....

Can you get your duty pump cycle through datalogging? I asked Jim if they wanted me to do datalogs and he said there was no need to cause he thinks its perfect, but goddamnn dont you wanna make sure everything is ok and running perfect?.....

Quick Reply: gt500 pump install?