Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of removing my headers... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ziperhead
How does headers effect inspection? If you have cats and the o2 sensors are turned on I don't see how you would have a problem... well at least in NY

Maybe I better go down and see if mine will pass as I have Kooks longtubes and cats... lol
you have cats..I believe he has an offroad X with no cats..so thats why he wont pass.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Exactly I have no cats, thats why I wont pass. and also I cant put aftermarket cats on with a blower, cause for some reason they dont mix well. I havent fully read up on it but it can hurt your car because the cats can blow apart with a supercharger.

05x are you far from stroudsburg?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

probably like 6-7hrs
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Exactly I have no cats, thats why I wont pass. and also I cant put aftermarket cats on with a blower, cause for some reason they dont mix well. I havent fully read up on it but it can hurt your car because the cats can blow apart with a supercharger.

05x are you far from stroudsburg?

You can use aftermarket cats, as long as they aren't ceramic. The metallic Bassani are what I run. Or Brenspeed has these too:
http://www.brenspeed.com/cvm11k.html
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I don't like the hi flow cats. I personally would rather have none or weld in a set of OEM cats.

I wouldn't remove the LTs until I had to.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Headers go in, headers go out............dude thats a LOT of work.

Good luck Grabber
Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna have to agree with the metallic high flow cats rather than removing the headers. Remember, the cats will tone down the sound of the exhaust a bit if you think it's too loud for DD. Just replace the collector gaskets, as you said it had a small leak, and put the cats on. Easier than taking them off and putting manifolds back on!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Always remember with the high flow cats there are two different ones. One is the cheaper of the two and is generally the norm of what people buy. Then there is the metallic high flow cats. THose are specifically made for supercharged applications. All the failed motors due to failed cats have been the regular cats and not the metallic atleast in my research. So keep that in mind when looking at cats. I am currently running the metallic version and have not had any issues. I may take them off in a year or so just to see how they are holding up
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Have there ever been any failure with the stock cats? I also think my leak is coming from the gasket thats between the header and the motor so either way to fix it I am going to have to remove the header somewhat anyway. I really just dont want to have to go through all the trouble of getting a new tune if my car doesnt pass. Thats another $475 if I have to go back to JDM for a retune.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure he has a tune for the car with stock manifolds. He got it pretty good how it is now. Almost seems like you don't even need a dunk tune the way it sits. So if you have to put stock exhaust back on, I'm sure he's tuned many cars that way with your setup. Like another guy here said, it's not like you have an elaborate setup! Badass, yes. Difficult and out of the ordinary...no.

Quick Reply: Thinking of removing my headers... opinions?