Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing my spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 AM
brockbr

Default RE: Removing my spoiler

Gloves,
Like I said - I really didn't care for it. I like the cleaner look without the shopping cart handle

But - Since you had to go and create a list - Here is my attempt at debunking it (all in good fun – Don’t take it too seriously!)
1) Side Scoops - Unless you added the Steeda or other side scoop extensions, this is a matter of body strength. No car is designed with a flat panel for one reason - Sheet metal at this thickness will warp, bend and crease. This is the manufacturing process to strengthen the panel.

2) Un-aerodynamic front - It feeds the radiator in typical mustang style. The only other way to get the air in would be via a bottom feeder like a Corvette. The problem is that with a SOHC (or DOHC) engine, the cam height necessitates a taller engine compartment. Because of this, the front of the car is more efficient if it gets the air straight in.

3) 300 unnecessary horsepower – Unnecessary? That’s it – Turn in your man card!! Seriously though, you mention gas mileage etc. These cars don’t do much worse then a V6 equipped S-Cop-A (spelled just like Escape ). That’s a grocery getter – Why wouldn’t a Mustang be just as well suited?

4) Spoiler – For me, it’s not just a matter of preference and the fact that it is non functional – In fact, it IS functional for ONE thing – Drag! IN your own bulleted list (see 2 above) you mention the VERY REASON why I would opt to remove it – Why do I want something that creates more drag on the car?

Again, I think my initial explanation was most PC - I didn't care for it
Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Horrible gas mileage???

My GT gets pretty good gas mileage for a 300HP V8. I get about 19 in the city and average a little over 24 on the highway. I can get 27 on the highway if I'm not having fun.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

What I'm trying to say is that I didn't get the Mustang because of the trunk space, the
number of people I can transport conformably, but for 1 reason only. I like to go fast and
look cool while doing it. I've been 145+ mph (don't really know how fast, that's the last
number on the speedometer) and I'm pretty sure I wasn't thinking, "boy I would go a lot faster
if this spoiler wasn't here."

While I wish the spoiler was more functional other than just for looks, on or off doesn't make
it more or less of a Mustang. I just like it on, just how you like it off. (off is technically more
retro style anyhow)

Gas milage 19 & 24 MPG is 2/3 what i used to get on my old "practical" car. My actual
numbers are more like 17 & 24 (what the comp. tells me). I have fun on the streets too.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zerbe

can you post any close up shots of where the holes on the trunk used to be?
I second that, brockbr can you post some close up pics of that area.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:29 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

i prefer mine off BUT to really be retro all the spoilers should be low-gloss black. they were not body color back in the 60s unless you had a black car.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
brockbr

I'll post some close-ups of the area tonight.

b.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Thanks! Can you do both the outside and inside of the area.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 AM
silverado
1st Gear Member

I dont like the factory spoiler too much either. Thats why I have a Shelby spoiler arriving in 3 Days. Gonna look sweet
Old 09-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverado

I dont like the factory spoiler too much either. Thats why I have a Shelby spoiler arriving in 3 Days. Gonna look sweet
What's a Shelby Spoiler!?!@?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

its called a "duck tail" spoiler that comes in 3 pieces and bolts in the same spots where your stock spoilercomes...you can find it on www.newwavemustang.com
ORIGINAL: Gloves

ORIGINAL: silverado

What's a Shelby Spoiler!?!@?

Quick Reply: Removing my spoiler