Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST hid kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Dont get me wrong, I too want to one day add an HID kit to my own ride, it's just that I dont want to become "that guy" that I often curse at for blinding me on the road.

Another thin I am worried about is cops. In a pack of cars in the dark, they can pick you out very easily, and since they can distinguish you from others just by your bluish hue of your headlamps, they will tend to put the radar/laser on you first. And if you do get clocked, they can eyeball your beams like a hawk until your are close enough for them to light you up and ticket you.
Now, if everyone on the road had HID lamps and not your yellow regular headlamps, a cop picking you out of a pack will be much harder.

I learned this lesson the hard way, and I dont even have HIDs. I was stupid enough to drive at night with my fog lamps on. Seeing 4 eyes coming at him, even while I was in a pack of no less than 5 cars around me, a trooper put his laser on me and eyeballed my 4 eyes until I was close enough for him to ticket me. If I turned of my fogs, I bet I would have a better chance of blending in such that by the time I was close to him, he might just have said "F*** it" and not even bothered to try to guess which car was me.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Yes, the factory HID retrofit is kind of a pain, but doable. And, yes, it is expensive.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:22 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Retro solutions here as well. Great customer service.

@redfire - I agree. I've always had to readjust the beam height slightly on all my hid kits in any vehicle. That's the problem, guys install them and don't bother to lower the beam angle. I have 55w, adjusted correctly. They're very bright and I never get high beamed. Even with the fogs on as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:07 AM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

heres an idea of what 6000K looks like, and if they ever go out i think i might drop down to 5000K, i have no prob with the 6000K but from outside it does look a bit more blue, i would not recommend 8000K

Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Here are shots of my 6000k headlights from retrosolutions.. had them for about a year now with no problems.. love em, one of my best mods so far

Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 PM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Yes, the factory HID retrofit is kind of a pain, but doable. And, yes, it is expensive.
I know this is kind of late, but how much does it cost to get factory HID?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Dark Smoke Xpel Headlight Kit w/HIDs(retro-solutions 5000k) at night
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Oh wow, I'm a bit late, lol
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

lol no problem man, I went with retro solutions anyway from all the good review and the kit is great. Ill get some pics up once I get the replacement fog bulbs (i ordered the wrong size =/)
Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
lol no problem man, I went with retro solutions anyway from all the good review and the kit is great. Ill get some pics up once I get the replacement fog bulbs (i ordered the wrong size =/)
Lol...i did the same thing. every reference i could find pointed to the pony package fog light numbers haha...didnt even reference the gt's.

Quick Reply: BEST hid kit?