Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PlastiDippin' : A tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Peels right off, huh? Wonder if I could quit buying rubbers and just plasti-dip my junk before I get laid...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

i am reading up on option of refinishing my rims, came across this thread. my question is similar to what others have touched on; this stuff seems sensitive to the slightest ding. not brought up in the thread, but if i can peel off overspray, wouldnt the stuff stay soft? does it harden on the rim or does it stay rubbery? also, why would i choose this option over conventional paint?
do i need to be worried about washing the rims and peeling this stuff off by mistake?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM
DarthV8

i have been doing a little experimenting with this stuff here is what i have come to find.

The more coats the better. For rims i would do at least 4 coats. 2 coats is simply not enough, I hate to break it to OP but I think you will start to see flaking within a couple months at best.

Second, the best way to keep this stuff bonding to what its on is to cover the the entire surface of the product with it. this makes it more like a seal and does not allow dirt and other contaminants to reduce the bond.

Third you can get a slew of different colors beyond the flat black from several sites, the best one i have found is dipyourcar.com

When cleaning plasti dipped parts avoid getting to close with high pressure washers, other than that wash like normal. The reason this is better than conventional paint is that unlike paint, it bonds quite well to chrome because of its unique bonding property.

Last edited by DarthV8; 03-08-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarthV8
i have been doing a little experimenting with this stuff here is what i have come to find.

The more coats the better. For rims i would do at least 4 coats. 2 coats is simply not enough, I hate to break it to OP but I think you will start to see flaking within a couple months at best.

Second, the best way to keep this stuff bonding to what its on is to cover the the entire surface of the product with it. this makes it more like a seal and does not allow dirt and other contaminants to reduce the bond.

Third you can get a slew of different colors beyond the flat black from several sites, the best one i have found is dip your car.

When cleaning plasti dipped parts avoid getting to close with high pressure washers, other than that wash like normal. The reason this is better than conventional paint is that unlike paint, it bonds quite well to chrome because of its unique bonding property.

why would i want to paint chrome?

thanks for your input. i have been reading and youtubing different options/techniques, and i think im going to end up going with traditional paint. i may change my mind however