Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really wierd problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Default really wierd problem.

im beginning to think there may be a problem with my ecm.

the car is a 2010 gt with about 15k miles ive had it from new. anyway what its doing is really strange (and this is not the first time its happened, but its rare and doesn't happen often)

the other day i was leaving my cousins house (we had christmas there this year) and i stopped at a texico to get some gas. i had 1/4 left in the tank so it wasn't running on empty or anything...........i fill her up and take off pull back out on the highway and as i get up to speed im noticing that somethings not right.

it starts running like dog ****. it sounds like the damn car is MISSING. the idle is off and it almost sounds like the car has aftermarket cams. (admittedly it sounded cool, but ran like ****). i immediately thought about bad gas.....but it gets wierder.

unfortunately i was on a narrow road and there was to much traffic and no shoulder so i couldn't immediately pull over.

a few miles down the road i find a spot to safely pull over and stop and get out listening to the wierd idle. well on a hunch (from what happened before) i turn the car off and then start it again. idle is smooth and sounds just like normal. i get out and listen and the car is running perfect again.

pull out onto the highway and the car seems to run and drive just like normal. hasn't done it again and im still using the same gas i got from that station.

also its done this a few times before (even took it to the dealer and was told it was just bad gas).

and every time it happens i just turn the car off and start it again and its normal again.

the kicker is there are NO warning lights, no check engine nothing.

because the problem is so damn rare and hard to duplicate im really not sure what to do. is this really a symptom of bad gas? or is there something else going on.

bad gas can't be resolved by restarting the car..........because it doesn't magically go away.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

That is weird... So, whenever this happens, simply restarting the car makes it go away? Everytime? Do you have the ability to capture video on your phone? Next time this happens, definitely capture it if you can and present that to the Service Advisor at the dealership.

What mods have you had done, e.g. CAI, tune, aftermarket throttle body, etc? Could it be an air bubble in the fuel line that is causing this problem? When you restart maybe the pressurization of the line dislodges the bubble? Do you have a way of measuring your Fuel Pressure? I wonder what it looks like when this is occurring?

Not to be too much a devil's advocate, but if it is truly rare and restarting it corrects it, then unless something physically breaks, I'm not sure there is much the dealership will be able to do to replicate this issue, much less diagnose what it is.

Start keeping a log and videos of these occurances if you can at the least.

Good luck,
Don
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
That is weird... So, whenever this happens, simply restarting the car makes it go away? Everytime? Do you have the ability to capture video on your phone? Next time this happens, definitely capture it if you can and present that to the Service Advisor at the dealership.

What mods have you had done, e.g. CAI, tune, aftermarket throttle body, etc? Could it be an air bubble in the fuel line that is causing this problem? When you restart maybe the pressurization of the line dislodges the bubble? Do you have a way of measuring your Fuel Pressure? I wonder what it looks like when this is occurring?

Not to be too much a devil's advocate, but if it is truly rare and restarting it corrects it, then unless something physically breaks, I'm not sure there is much the dealership will be able to do to replicate this issue, much less diagnose what it is.

Start keeping a log and videos of these occurances if you can at the least.

Good luck,
Don

ya everytime it has happened a simple restart fixed it, and no dash lights!

its so freaking wierd. ill try to video it the next time it happens.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

fuel filter is the first thing i'd replace. Dirty filter may cause what u are experiencing because as the dirt clogs the filter it creates flow issues. When you turn off and restart the car, the crap in the filter has fallen to the "botton" of the filter so there is a less of restricted path. Over time though (driving) that flow is again restricted as all the crap that was at the bottom of the filter gets shoved into the filter media again.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-29-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Plug the PCM into the internet and upload the latest software!!!