Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear diffuser has rust on it >:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 AM
JasonBourne

Default My rear diffuser has rust on it >:(

I installed a rear diffuser on my mustang 6 months ago and theres rust on the silver part.

this is it a couple of months ago, the rust is on the oval shaped cut outs near the top of it. is it possible to get rid of it or am i screwed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpGdbBGGD3w
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Your rear diffuser in the video is just black abs plastic and I dont see oval cutouts on the diffuser unless Im missing something. There's cutouts for the exhaust on the valance/bumper cover...

Either way the solution should be mild soap and water to get it off. If it's on paint, of course be careful and dont be scrubbin like a mad man or using anything abrasive cuz you could cut right through that paint then have a bad problem. If it's not painted, you can use more elbow grease too. You could try some CLR solution (available pretty much anywhere including supermarkets), but I'd test that on an inconspicuous are before you do it where its visible. CLR removes Calcium, Lime and Rust, and it can work miracles, but if could potentially damage your stuff too so be careful. And you dont scrub with it, you soak then rinse rinse rinse...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Your rear diffuser in the video is just black abs plastic and I dont see oval cutouts on the diffuser unless Im missing something. There's cutouts for the exhaust on the valance/bumper cover...

Either way the solution should be mild soap and water to get it off. If it's on paint, of course be careful and dont be scrubbin like a mad man or using anything abrasive cuz you could cut right through that paint then have a bad problem. If it's not painted, you can use more elbow grease too. You could try some CLR solution (available pretty much anywhere including supermarkets), but I'd test that on an inconspicuous are before you do it where its visible. CLR removes Calcium, Lime and Rust, and it can work miracles, but if could potentially damage your stuff too so be careful. And you dont scrub with it, you soak then rinse rinse rinse...
Look at the top of the diffuser, they are horizontal, 3 of them (one in the middle of each section). I would see if there is a way to remove them, then I would clean them, clear coat them, and re-install.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

If the screens are rusting you'll have to replace them with stainless steel or aluminum screens. You could have them blasted and powder coated that would last a long time and make them less noticeable which you may prefer.

Make sure you don't use a plain steel wire brush or wire wheel to clean the screens. A plain steel wire brush will embed tiny amounts of steel in the surface which will rust fairly quickly even if the screen itself is stainless.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Mustang_GT94

That's a good sound I Love It!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

The easiest way is to use a rust converter. You essentially brush the liquid over the rusted area. This process converts the rust into a protective coating. It works well and it's not a new product. I have used it many times around the house. It has been around for over 25 years and really works well!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

First of all, I have no idea how to help. More importantly though, why on earth do people post videos to show off the sound of their cars and then feel the need to have crappy music playing over it?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
First of all, I have no idea how to help. More importantly though, why on earth do people post videos to show off the sound of their cars and then feel the need to have crappy music playing over it?
The same reason people feel the need to post on a forum to complain about it when they could just not watch the video?