Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Ok, so I was downstairs on my phone looking at threads and happened to start reading through this and felt compelled to express my opinion. I think smoke lights would look amazing on your stang and I in no way believe it's a safety risk to get them tinted or painted (yes, painted). The GTS covers you often see are unsafe and hard to see though. However, purchasing a good tint or having someone that knows what they are doing paint them with a translucent black paint is a great option. My tail lights are probably the darkest lights you'll see and I KNOW they are perfectly safe and visible. Let me add that I have NEVER been pulled over for these and don't see it happening anytime soon. It's simply not a hazard. Here's a photo of them during the day for reference:

Now, when would the tail lights be the least visible? At night, right? Here's a video of them at 1230am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJvH...1&feature=plcp

Stevie Wonder could see these when driving behind me.

If you're interested in quality smoked tail lights, look up Smoked_Lights on Ebay. He's willing to negotiate prices and does quality work. I had a body shop tape over the clear on my third brake light I purchased from him and completely ruin the finish (the photo above actually shows the damaged third brake light). Contacted him and no questions asked I sent him my stock light (unpainted) and he resprayed it at no charge to me (body shop didn't know that, lol). I think this is his "official" site.

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Ok, so I was downstairs on my phone looking at threads and happened to start reading through this and felt compelled to express my opinion. I think smoke lights would look amazing on your stang and I in no way believe it's a safety risk to get them tinted or painted (yes, painted). The GTS covers you often see are unsafe and hard to see though. However, purchasing a good tint or having someone that knows what they are doing paint them with a translucent black paint is a great option. My tail lights are probably the darkest lights you'll see and I KNOW they are perfectly safe and visible. Let me add that I have NEVER been pulled over for these and don't see it happening anytime soon. It's simply not a hazard.

Stevie Wonder could see these when driving behind me.

If you're interested in quality smoked tail lights, look up Smoked_Lights on Ebay. He's willing to negotiate prices and does quality work. I had a body shop tape over the clear on my third brake light I purchased from him and completely ruin the finish (the photo above actually shows the damaged third brake light). Contacted him and no questions asked I sent him my stock light (unpainted) and he resprayed it at no charge to me (body shop didn't know that, lol). I think this is his "official" site.
I have to agree with Baker on this. I've had my tinted tails for over a year now and have had city cops and State Troopers behind me and never pulled over. Shortly after I installed them I had a friend drive my car while I followed behind him. I didn't see any problems with visibility during day time. I believe in Alabama the law is the tail lights have to be visible from 200 feet. Like Baker said, if the lights are done right then safety and visibility shouldn't be a problem.

I also had mine tinted by "Smoked Lights" on eBay. He does do very nice work and I would also highly recommed using him if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by pinn
Raxiom tinted replacement chops:

I think this looks pretty good! Great chop. Thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Margarita Girl

Originally Posted by MadStang40
This is what I have, Margarita. No problems with illumination. And if it's too dark, you might just be able to buy higher intensity bulbs...

Unedited photos:

Great comparison shot. I'm leaning toward the tint from American Muscle.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I also think tint would look good on your stang. I don't feel there's a safety hazard in doing so. The plastic covers are dangerous and make the lights WAY too dark, but the american muscle tint is still very easily see through when the lights are on, and they give the light a nice dark appearance when you aren't braking.

I put them on my girlfriend's car this december and then put on that taillight black trim like on yours...I think it looks amazing. Makes me want to tint my own! Except first I'm eyeing those 2005-2009 tail lights that american muscle is going to release soon for the 2011+
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
OrangeandBlue32

Hey d'prived, may i ask where you got that tint from? and do you know what % tint it is? It looks real good and wanted to do the same to my satin silver gt.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue32
Hey d'prived, may i ask where you got that tint from? and do you know what % tint it is? It looks real good and wanted to do the same to my satin silver gt.
Here ya go.

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Originally Posted by D'prived
I also had mine tinted by "Smoked Lights" on eBay. He does do very nice work and I would also highly recommed using him if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I think that it looks ok as is on your red but if you just want something different I would suggest a light lint.

I did mine with Light Smoke from rvinyl.com
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

ew no, leave them red.

And do you have the sequentials that turn on when you hit the brake too? That has to be the most annoying thing I've ever been forced to sit behind in traffic.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Margarita Girl

Originally Posted by essayons
ew no, leave them red.

And do you have the sequentials that turn on when you hit the brake too? That has to be the most annoying thing I've ever been forced to sit behind in traffic.
Yes, I have sequential lights and they stay steady after the first sequence when I hit the brakes. If the most annoying thing you see in traffic is taillights then you've got some polite drivers in your city.

Quick Reply: Opinions on tail lights