Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of luck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default Out of luck?

Ok, I decided I wanted a 2012 Mustang GT a few weeks ago when I found out you could get big discounts on them. I was originally thinking of getting a V6 with a few options, but when I saw you could get the 5.0 base for around the same price it seemed like a no-brainer. I had an offer of about 25k for a silver one a couple weeks ago, but didn't really want another silver car and then 24.5k for a black base a little over a week ago. I was trying to sell my leased vehicle to make a couple grand and it looks like that fell through. So I was going to pursue the black GT anyway, but the salesman left the company that had the deal. I had to wait a few days to talk to his replacement and now the cars are sold and he can't find any other manual base 5.0's anywhere close. I called the other dealer and same thing. So I did some searching on my own and found a couple down in Texas including a race red manual for about 25k that doesn't sound bad but that's just not practical because of the distance. I know they could probably ship it, but I need decent financing (may be a problem) and would like to try to trade my car in to at least break-even. I did find a couple 5.0 automatic bases in Mich. but they only have silver and grabber blue left. I guess I could go with another silver and an auto may be ok, but I really doubt they will come down to the 25k range as the MSRP is almost 32k. I was going to get a heck of a deal on the 6-speed through true car, but the autos are a little over a grand more. I guess its worth a shot, esp. if they can give me a little more for my car (which I know its worth more than the other dealer was going to give me). btw, there is also a candy red auto only 15 miles away but they are asking over 32k for it and I know they won't go down anywhere close to what the big dealerships can.

So what do you guys think am I SOL? I know I could go back to my original idea of getting either a premium 2012 V6 (although I may have to hurry for those) or take my time and order a 2013 V6 with the options and color I want (I'm thinking black or gray base with Recaro's and 3.31). Its really hard to go back to the V6 after thinking you can get the V8. I haven't even actually driven the new V6's yet and the dealer said they now pack a pretty good punch, but I know I would end up getting a bunch of mods for it as funds allow and know from experience that modding is pretty much a waste of money when you go to trade your car in. If you sell it privately it may help a little. There really aren't any other cars I would be interested in except for maybe another Genesis Coupe. The 2013's have some upgrades, but they also raised the price about 2k so that the base is now just over 25k (and it doesn't even have LSD now). The dealership where I got my car is getting swamped with Genesis trade-ins so I'm sure I wouldn't get anything for my lease there but maybe what I owe on it. The only other options I can think of is getting a beater if I can find a decent one for a grand or two and saving up for 9 or 10 months until they start big rebates on the 13 5.0's next year or buy out my genesis (and take out a 4-5 year loan) and try to sell it over the next few months as I know it is worth more than the 16k buyout amount. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Mrbobcat; 04-21-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

If you were willing to get a car from Texas I'd give you the number for the guy I bought mine from Wednesday. I didn't pay that low because of some logistics getting grabber blue, but I was shown two GT PREMIUMS no less for 26xxx. Both were manuals. That's the best help I can give.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
If you were willing to get a car from Texas I'd give you the number for the guy I bought mine from Wednesday. I didn't pay that low because of some logistics getting grabber blue, but I was shown two GT PREMIUMS no less for 26xxx. Both were manuals. That's the best help I can give.
A little over 26k for a premium, wow! I didn't really say I wanted to go that far to get one, just that I found a couple down there. That's still a little more than I wanted to pay, but if they have any base or near base, I bet those would be a few grand less. I wonder how you could work it being that far away, have it shipped or go pick it up? I'm betting shipping would be around $500-600 at least, but if you get a good deal might be worth it. But then again I have my lease that I want to get out of and a local dealership would be a lot easier. I wonder if the dealers around here I was talking to could get one (trade or something) from that far away? I doubt it as the one dealer searched and said he couldn't find anything and the other one was supposed to call me back yesterday but never did so I figured he couldn't find one either.

btw, that one dealership I sent a question to on ebay sent me a message last night that they would like me to come up and test drive one of the automatics, but they didn't answer my question as to how low they would be willing to go as I have to stay at or below 25k to stay close to budget. I guess its worth calling them back first thing this morning to see if its even feasible to check one out. They may be willing to deal as it looks like those grabber blues and silvers with autos are leftovers that nobody else has wanted. btw, I haven't seen a lot of info on automatics on here. Is it a decent tranny and worth considering? What about gas mileage, I would think it would get a little less than the manual?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Doubt you could find a base for much less. I doubt you could find much of anything 2012 since the 13's are already here.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Buy a plane ticket...fly in, drive it back.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

This is why you jump on a good deal. If you dont somebody else will. Trying to unload a used car before buying the next one always slows everything down. Why did you lease your current car?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
This is why you jump on a good deal. If you dont somebody else will. Trying to unload a used car before buying the next one always slows everything down. Why did you lease your current car?
I really had no choice at the time to be able to afford it. Buying would have been about $75 more. Thinking back I shouldn't have done it as I almost had my Spec V paid off and was barely making min. credit card payments. I tried to scrape by the best I could but finally had to file bk7 last summer mostly for all the cc debt from going to school twice in the past 10 years. I didn't help with the student loans though and those are gonna be a pain for the next 15+ years. Another issue right now is trying to find decent financing with the recent bk. That Ford dealer is the only one to approve me at the moment except for a local credit union, but they only approved me for about 16k and you can't get much with that. I may have to end up either get a beater for about a year and save up some money for a stang next year, get another lease (some good deals at Chrysler right now) or buy out my current car and then try and sell it and hopefully make a little something on it in the next 6-12 months and then maybe get a stang.