Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded in my 2007 Corvette Z06 for a 2013 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Default Traded in my 2007 Corvette Z06 for a 2013 Mustang

Yep - sounds nutty, right? But I have my reasons. First off, the Z06 was an awesome car. I have never owned anything that had such a combination of straight line performance (time in my sig was done on my very first run at a drag strip), handling, top end speed, and looks. The car did everything well except seat 4 people and go through snow. I leased it back in 2007 and then bought the lease out 8 months ago. The car came with a 100,000 mile, 5 year warranty and the only warranty repair was a leaky water pump about 12 months in. When I traded it in, it had 46,000 miles on it.

A few months ago, a friend of mine decided to trade in his BMW M3 for a '13 Mustang. He loved his M and much as I loved my Z. I asked him for his reasoning and it really made sense. Then I thought about how my car was now out of warranty. I thought about that any engine failure was on my nickel now (car did have an intake and a dyno tune). I was due for tires to the tune of $1800 (OEM is over $2,000). The brakes were also coming due. With rotors I was looking at over a grand. And the kicker was this: I still had 4+ years of not very cheap payments left and when it was finally paid off I'd own a 9+ year old car with 80,000 miles. It just didn't make sense.

My last Mustang was a 2000 GT convertible that I drove bone stock for 5 years. When it was paid off, I modded the hell out of it...Vortech blower and all supporting mods. Car made 400/400 rwhp/rwtq. And I did it when the car had 120,000 miles! It ran great for another 20,000 miles and then I sold it to a forum member. I loved that car.

So when I decided to get out of the Corvette, there was really only one option for me and that was the '13 Mustang with the 5.0. The Camaro had grown on me, but I just couldn't get past the massive size and the fact that I thought the Mustang looked 1000 times better. And with the new 420 hp 5.0, it became the obvious choice. So yesterday I placed a factory order for the GT Premium with the track package, electronics package, and comfort package. Exterior color is Deep Impact Blue and the interior is Stone leather. I am hoping it will be ready by early July. The dealer did a pre-trade on my Corvette, so for the next 6-8 weeks I will only have my STi (which doesn't compare to the Z06 or the Mustang). It will be the longest 6-8 weeks of my life! First mods will be full exhaust (L/T headers on back), CAI and a dyno tune. After that I will look to do something to plant the power.

Anyway, that's my story. I am going from a C6 Z06 to a Mustang GT and I don't regret it at all. That doesn't mean I won't miss my Z06, but I am ready to come home to a Mustang. Thanks for reading!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

We need pictures of the new stang!

I can completely understand the pain of having a 2 seater. My husband's daily driver is a 370z and it can be quite the pain in the *** to get around.
Your Z06 was gorgeous, but I'm sure you'll love the Mustang.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:37 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Welcome back!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

not nutty. i love my Mustang and i never EVER thought i would like a mustang. sometimes, there are more important things than HP. sometimes.

congrats.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Thanks, people I did have a second car (Subaru STi) while I owned the Z06 so if I had to seat more than one other person I would drive that. But it will be nice to know that I can drive the Mustang in any situation. Thankfully I won't be the one sitting in the back!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

hmm. dodging slightly exaggerated maintenance costs, and claiming you're afraid of blowing a motor or something on your own dime but immediately tuning the new mustang?

sounds like you needed reasons to convince yourself or your s/o that a new car was a good idea

enjoy the new ride either way! can't say I would do the same in your position.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
hmm. dodging slightly exaggerated maintenance costs, and claiming you're afraid of blowing a motor or something on your own dime but immediately tuning the new mustang?

sounds like you needed reasons to convince yourself or your s/o that a new car was a good idea

enjoy the new ride either way! can't say I would do the same in your position.
There is nothing exaggerated about the cost of C6 Z06 tires. Go to tire rack and check it out. It's not like I was running the stock rubber. And what do you think rotors and pads cost for a C6 Z06? Roughly $600. Pads are over $200.

Fair point on the warranty issue. Technically, GM could have voided my warranty for the tune. I guess going from a 5 year old car with 46,000 miles to a brand new car with 0 miles gives me a little more piece of mind.

Affording the Z06 was not an issue, even if I decided to keep it and do brakes and tires. No significant other in the equation either. I thought long and hard about this and this is what I decided. Maybe owning the car for 5 years played into it. In any event, I know it was the right move for me.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

there are other tire options and better/cheaper brake pad and rotor options rather than sticking with OEM that is price gouging yourself!

long tubes on the stang... tuning your stang.. both will pretty much throw your powertrain warranty out the window if you need to submit a claim. keep in mind, Ford are being sticklers when it comes to claims on modded mustangs now.

that's all I am getting at. either way it is your $, car and decision and you gotta do what makes you happy! you will like the stang, for sure.

when I bought my stang, it came down to a c6 or the stang .. and I chose the stang to have slightly more utility/visibility, and thought it was much easier to drive harder then the vette. the vette, you really had to feather into it before going WOT. I felt it required a ton of concentration to not get it sideways. I can only imagine the z06 even moreso!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Just want to second and third what everyone is saying... There are ways around it but if you mod your mustang it will void the warranty
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

OP, I believe you'll enjoy the Stang but if you thing that it's a 4 seater you're sadly mistaking.
My best friend's wife just bought a 13 and we went for a ride to the grocery store for fun (a mile and a half trip).
I was in a back... never again. LOL.

Modern Vettes are great but it's still not a primary car IMO.

Quick Reply: Traded in my 2007 Corvette Z06 for a 2013 Mustang