Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 AM
johnbosmans

Default Need Buying Advice

Hi all. New here.

I am in the market for a 2005 Mustang for my son. He is interested in the V8/GT models (forgive my ignorance on the exact model).

Questions:
1. What should we look for when test driving these cars?
2. What should our mechanic focus on when doing the PPI?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 AM
johnbosmans

One other question.

What should we expect to pay for the 05?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The '05's and '06's are typically going for anywhere from about $11k to $16k, depending on your area, mileage on the car, mods, dealer dickedness, etc.. Since you sound like you're in my age ballpark, you probably know how to haggle so enjoy.

There are a number of TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) associated with this model; the S197; which you and your mechanic should become familiar with. The most serious (IMO) is for a water leak which was chronic on many 05's thru 08's (although not as prevalent on the 07 and 08 as the 05 and 06). This is a leak that comes in from above the SJB (Smart Junction Box) inside the front passenger kickpanel and will cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. Telltale sign is a wet carpet at the base of the kickpanel.

Other than that, the balance of TSB's aren't debilitating like the water like.

All in all, the S197 is a fun car. Just be prepared for your son to want to begin modding. These engines are ripe for some power mods.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The '05's and '06's are typically going for anywhere from about $11k to $16k, depending on your area, mileage on the car, mods, dealer dickedness, etc.. Since you sound like you're in my age ballpark, you probably know how to haggle so enjoy.

There are a number of TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) associated with this model; the S197; which you and your mechanic should become familiar with. The most serious (IMO) is for a water leak which was chronic on many 05's thru 08's (although not as prevalent on the 07 and 08 as the 05 and 06). This is a leak that comes in from above the SJB (Smart Junction Box) inside the front passenger kickpanel and will cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. Telltale sign is a wet carpet at the base of the kickpanel.

Other than that, the balance of TSB's aren't debilitating like the water like.

All in all, the S197 is a fun car. Just be prepared for your son to want to begin modding. These engines are ripe for some power mods.
What Nuke said.....

I've also used KBB (www.kbb.com) to get a general feel for price. Another thing to do to get price range is do a search on autotrader.com, here you can see what folks are asking for our cars. You can make the search as open/narrow as you want. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

I used autogeek and found it A very helpful tool when I was shopping for mine.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Another thing to watch for is if the car has mods from the previous owner. Very common is a CAI (Cold Air Intake) with a custom tune. Most stand-alone CAI's claim to not require a tune but MAY throw a Check Engine Light (CEL or often known as "throwing a code") for running lean due to the PCM not being able to adequately adjust for the additional airflow. If it DOES have a CAI with a tune, then make sure you've been provided with the handheld device (a.k.a. tuner). Having a non-OE tune without the handheld can be a PITA down the road. FWIW, a CAI and good custom tune adds roughly 20-25 RWHP to the 4.6L engine in the GT.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
johnbosmans

WOW....you guys are awesome....Thank You for all the advice!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:29 AM
johnbosmans

Here is a link to the one he likes:

http://www.lovittsauto.net/viewlisting.php?view=2490
Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Well, it's definately been modded by the previous owner. Hood, Grill, wheels are what stick out to me. Need an under the hood pic. Not a Roush though so the emblems confuse me. If you buy it, I'd also tell them to take their stupid sticker off the trunk

Last edited by xkape; 06-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
ninefooter
1st Gear Member

Personally I think 51k miles on an 05 is great and it looks well loved. Id obviously try to get him to lower the price a little, but the car is clean looking.

Quick Reply: Need Buying Advice