Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a little $$$ to spend on my car...Few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Save yourself the rear bumper repair costs (they'll be repainting a lot of it anyway) and buy yourself a GT rear bumper and get that painted... I think it's like $250 for the bumper, and getting it painted shouldn't be all that much more than having the current bumper repainted. You'll be spending a little more, but the v6 rear bumper is nothing worth salvaging IMO.

Head units are a nice upgrade, I have been looking at a few for quite a while as well (pioneer makes some really nice ones in the range of $300-$600) but I have to say, nothing gave a greater sound improvement over my Infinity Kappas (door speakers), although it is worth noting that I had the shaker 500 system already (not sure if that's what you have as well).

Mufflers are cheap, I got two GT takeoff mufflers for like $60 and even without converting to dual exhaust it was a vast improvement over the V6 stock muffler. Exhaust work will be pretty cheap compared to the other things you have on your list.

Window tint cost will vary widely, I had a pretty good deal with mine done for just under $200 for everything except the windshield.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM
HabsForever

Yeah, I don't think I would be getting the windshield tinted much if at all.

I like the sound of the GT bumper for sure. Where is a good place to buy one of those? Would it look strange with no other GT parts and a single exhaust?

Also, where is the best place to get one of these "GT exhaust takeoffs?"
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HabsForever
Also, where is the best place to get one of these "GT exhaust takeoffs?"
IMO, Craigslist is probably your best bet... Look at surrounding cities, not just your own and you'll likely find something sooner or later... I sold mine (which only had 7000 miles on them) for $50 to someone that way.

Good luck.

BTW, as far as windshield tinting, it is illegal in some jurisdictions, and will likely be limited to no further down the windshield than the AS1 line. In TX it's acceptable as long as it doesn't come down past that line. Not sure where you live though.

Don
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

It appears he is in NJ.

http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/NJ/
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
It appears he is in NJ.

http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/NJ/
Yeah, I saw that from his info below the avatar... LOL...

I was referring to specific laws governing his locale... Thanks for the laugh, maybe I should've worded my post to be more clear...

Don
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Found you a GT rear bumper in Tungsten gray 200 bucks which I think is your color no need to paint it just bolt it on now all you need is some gt takeoff mufflers.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/3083130834.html
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM
HabsForever

Yes, I believe my color is called tungsten gray. I shot the guy an email, hopefully he accepts my offer. I appreciate your effort in helping me.

You guys think I could fix the paint scraping on my front bumper myself? Where would I get the paint for that?

Also, this is totally unrelated but I didn't feel starting a new thread was necessary...my girlfriend also has a v6 Mustang, but 2005. She has that light baby blue color. Recently, her hood paint has begun to look like crap. I think the previous owner had it repainted or something by a shop that did a very bad job. I have tried all sorts of polishes on it and nothing works. How much would it cost to get a hood repainted? Or a new hood?

Again, thanks for all the help guys. As a bit of a car noob, I appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM
HabsForever

The guy accepted my offer for the GT back bumper cover, by the way. It may be a bit of a pain to go over all the bridges into New York so I'm gonna see if there's any more local first.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I chose mods over repairs - since I decided that only I notice what is wrong, anyhow.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HabsForever
The guy accepted my offer for the GT back bumper cover, by the way. It may be a bit of a pain to go over all the bridges into New York so I'm gonna see if there's any more local first.
I wouldnt wait around to long from experience I can tell you you drag your feat it will dissapear. I let a deal on a gt500 rear bumper get away from me and Im still kicking myself for it.

Quick Reply: Got a little $$$ to spend on my car...Few Q's