Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyl #1 Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM
captain slow

thanks everyone. I dont have a data logger, so I guess I'll wait until it happens next time and I'll try to take it in right a way...or hopefully it gets worse and a solid check engine light comes on. I'll tell you, this is not a good start to my relationship with this car...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Next time the alert comes on take it to the dealer WHILE it's on.
Missfire issues can happen for a variety of reasons.

It could be an actual mechanical error or if the car has been tuned it could be
something with the tune.

You can have it happen with a tune even if you got the tune months ago.
Mine in our 06GT was from the tune and the alert did not show up until about four months later. Some people say it can't be the tune if it was not showing up recently after the car was tuned but this is FALSE.

Like I said I know from personal experience as well as friends I have around here that had the same thing happen to them. Two out of the 20 people I know with these cars. But the other guys did not have any alerts or anything at all so dont figure the stats as 2 out of 20 WITH alerts. I have no idea how rare it is for it to happen after the tune was in place for a long time.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by captain slow
...So, I got the flashing CEL again the other day, and made an appointment with the dealer to take a look at it this morning. I go in, they tell me there are no codes...When I scanned it the other day there were codes...in any case, they told me no codes nothing to fix and sent me on my way. Came home and scanned the car and found no codes, so either they cleared them or they somehow cleared themselves. This is weird and very annoying. What do I do now?
...I guess I'll wait until it happens next time and I'll try to take it in right a way...or hopefully it gets worse and a solid check engine light comes on...
captain slow -

How is your Mustang operating? If it happens again, please take it in to your dealer ASAP. In addition, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and servicing dealer; I'll forward all details to your region's Customer Service Manager.

Originally Posted by xkape
...Is there a way to monitor that and let it do whatever it does so you can print it out (so you have a hard uneraseable copy) and take it to the dealer?...
Originally Posted by Entaille
...take pictures of the codes you pull next time and bring them with you, just in case they pull that again.
Bringing proof to the dealer, besides the 'Stang, is a good idea.

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
...However, that stuff is all greek to me so I'd be dumbfounded if I was looking at it.
Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
...Missfire issues can happen for a variety of reasons...
I can only imagine how tough it is to read properly. This is why I recommend our dealers, first and foremost.

Originally Posted by wayne613
...If they suck that bad, go elsewhere...
This brings up a good point. If he's unhappy with the service visit, he's welcome to get a second opinion from a different dealer. I'll also be happy to document any feedback.

Type to you soon,

Thomas
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
captain slow

this is really silly, but how I'm new to the forum and have no idea how to send you a pm nor do I see a link anywhere that would actually be private. In any case, the car is completely stock, has 3200 miles and change, and was in Crown Ford in Lynbrook on wednesday 7/11. If I can figure out how to send a pm, I'll send you the vin and my contact info. If you'd like, send me an email to captainslow7@hotmail.com
I really would like this car to function properly, and currently, it is. Until the next time the CE light flashes for 10 seconds and there is no power.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

this is really silly, but how I'm new to the forum and have no idea how to send you a pm
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5459095-post1.html
"Once you have been here for 30 days and have made 50 posts, you will have full access to the site."
--I believe private messaging(and editing posts) is also tied to this rule. You can however post in the forum help section, I'm sure 99GTvert, or one of the other mods would grant you this access early in this case since you're in need.

Not be nasty, but I've yet to see a single person anywhere say "The FORD CS rep got my issue resolved!". It appears to be a lot like the male bartender in a lesbian bar, sure, there's a lot of talk, but no chance of anything happening..

Perhaps, at best, a more PC "WTF?" directed towards the general manager at that dealership, in which case it will get played off, and I still wouldn't want to go back there again myself. Warranty work can be done at any FORD authorized service shop. I suggest taking it to another that might actually want to keep your business personally, as well as actually keep you in a FORD.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-13-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM
captain slow

Originally Posted by wayne613
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5459095-post1.html
"Once you have been here for 30 days and have made 50 posts, you will have full access to the site."
--I believe private messaging(and editing posts) is also tied to this rule. You can however post in the forum help section, I'm sure 99GTvert, or one of the other mods would grant you this access early in this case since you're in need.

Not be nasty, but I've yet to see a single person anywhere say "The FORD CS rep got my issue resolved!". It appears to be a lot like the male bartender in a lesbian bar, sure, there's a lot of talk, but no chance of anything happening..

Perhaps, at best, a more PC "WTF?" directed towards the general manager at that dealership, in which case it will get played off, and I still wouldn't want to go back there again myself. Warranty work can be done at any FORD authorized service shop. I suggest taking it to another that might actually want to keep your business personally, as well as actually keep you in a FORD.
Now it makes sense why I couldn't find the PM button. If Ford CS wants to contact me, I left my email so they can. As far as what you said about them playing this off, you're not too far off base. I'm not holding my breath, but if they actually help me fix the car its bonus. Which brings me to something I've been thinking... A few months ago I was considering buying a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Went in, drove the car, liked the car. Went home and taught about it. All local dealers were absolute garbage. The company seems on the brink of oblivion, so I decided that no matter how much I liked the car, I'm not putting myself in a situation where warranty work would be a nightmare. When I was buying the Mustang, (granted used) it never went thru my mind that I would have to service the car. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the car. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but I also understand why people mod these cars off the bat-- the warranty is useless anyway, or so it seems..
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

I'm not putting myself in a situation where warranty work would be a nightmare. When I was buying the Mustang, (granted used) it never went thru my mind that I would have to service the car. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the car. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but I also understand why people mod these cars off the bat-- the warranty is useless anyway, or so it seems..
They mod them right off the bat, because...they can. I had the power-steering pump crap out on me, and had a cold condition exhaust rattle issue taken care of, both under warranty.

Warranty work is hit or miss on the shop. Like any large scale manufacturer, they worry about selling it, and PR. That's generally where it ends. GM, Honda, makes little difference.

The difference comes to which of the actual dealerships you would buy from that will actually back it when there is a valid concern or problem, without giving you the "sorry, the computer isn't showing an error now" speech to send you on your way. They do deal with a lot of "hey, my butt hurts after I sit for 20hrs in here" kind of warranty "concerns" as well, so a little slack is required. But this one, seems fairly cut and dry that they simply didn't wish to take the time to take you seriously, and/or hoping it would be out of warranty before you came back.

This is under the FORD warranty, not the dealer's, yes? So, to re-iterate, drive into another dealer's service shop, tell them of the intermittent misfire issue. That you didn't imagine the CEL, or the subsequent ones...Get them to fix it properly. And the next time you go to buy a car, keep that particular place in mind, and recommend to others.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Mr2013GT
1st Gear Member

Hi everyone,

The other day while merging on the highway under light throttle in 3rd gear, at about 3200 rpm I felt a dead spot, looked down and saw the check engine light flashing, so I let off, and the light went away and the car drove fine. When I got to work, I scanned it and it came back with two codes- one for multiple misfires, and one for cyl 1 misfire. No steady check engine light on... The car is bone stock and has 3100 miles on it (5.0 btw). I'd take it to the dealer, but I fear they wont do anything for me as the light isn't on but if you plug in a scanner the codes are there, I never erased them. So, does anyone have any idea of what it may be?

Thanks,
Danny
Same thing happened with my old man's 2012 GT. Sometimes the light would flash at constant intervals (a half second on, half second off - for a few seconds), sometimes it would flicker (very quickly) and sometimes it would stay on. It was cylinder # 6 & 7 misfires due to cracked spark plugs. The guys at the dealership said they thought a machine was over-tightening them from the factory, but they could also be heat cracks.

When we took it in, they did a diagnostic, saw that there were misfires and replaced the spark plugs and wires. All was good.

We've since traded in for a 2013 GT anyway, since there are alot of changes that we both liked, including the vented hood and the LCD screen with temp/pressure readouts. It also has 3.73's and the Brembo package, which we didn't have before. The 2012 was alot of fun though. I'm sure they'll take care of this for you. The 5.0 is definately a revolutionary design, efficient in every way and MAN does it scream!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM
00gGT

Sorry for thread jacking but I didn't want to make a new one on the same topic lol

However, recently I noticed that my check engine light came on. My car had been very shaky before that though. When I scanned it I got the misfire on cylinder one so I put new spark plugs and everything came out fine. Later at night I was racing the car and when I came to a stop it shut off and the only two lights on where the battery and check eng. Light. Would that be the alternator or still misfiring??