Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter replacment question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

My mother's Mini Cooper (2003) had a lifetime filter. When doing a tune-up for her, I ended up replacing it which required removing the rear seats and pulling the fuel pump assembly, much the same as doing it on the Mustang.

I can tell you that it was one dirty filter. Whether or not it was causing any performance issues, I don't know. The car certainly runs smoother, but I also did plugs, wires, etc. I can say that I'm glad I replaced it, and for 30 mins of work and 25 bucks, I didn't lose any sleep over it.

I'm not saying technology hasn't changed enough to allow for a lifetime filter . . . but when you think about what it does, it's designed to be a wear/tear/replace item. Unless the quality of fuel has changed, stuff WILL get into the tank. And unless the size or ability of the filter to store those contaminates has increased/changed, it will get into your fuel system.

Criticize Ford all you want, but I never anticipated a fuel filter becoming a lifetime part, and certainly don't mind the small investment to keep my car going. If you truly want something with almost 0 maintenance, go electric.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Try pulling the filter off, replacing it and blowing air through it backwards. Black goo comes flushing out.. Nasty... I change mine every 30k...
Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Ford says my rear diff and manual trans fluid are lifetime, but I say to hell with that! I believe some of the Focus models have lifetime air filters, but if I had one of those I'd switch it out for aftermarket.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Can someone invent lifetime wiper blades?...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I wonder why we still have wiper blades at all. It would be cool to have glass that would, without any treatment such as Rain-X, enable water to blow right off with some help from jets of air directed at the windshield.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Given the choice between changing a cheap fuel filter every once in a while and having 132000 miles of crap built up in the fuel tank, I'll take the former.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
If you truly want something with almost 0 maintenance, go electric.
I support this, but just be ready for a $24,000 battery every 6-8 years.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I wax my glass, from day 1, always applied some kind of wax/polish to the glass, my wiper blades can't be heard when in use + still never get dirty
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you're a fan of lifetime fuel filters, would you also be a fan of lifetime oil filters or lifetime air filters? I'm not, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ford going with a lifetime fuel filter does NOT impress anyone who's ever changed a fuel filter and seen what comes out of them.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
my honda civic's fuel filter is built into the fuel pump and never needs replacing.

IMO, having a seperate fuel filter is better. and it only took me 10 minutes to change so no big deal.
having a seperate filter and changing it every 30k miles or so means you are running cleaner gas through the engine vs a car that doesnt change the filter.
just bc you dont need to change it doesnt mean it works any better.
I've seen lots of Euro cars now that have the fuel filter built into the fuel pump.
What that means is that when there is an issue with the filter, you will be changing the fuel pump.

I think changing the filter must be too difficult for the ones here whinning about replacing a $15.00 filter every 30,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter replacment question...