Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice regarding larger wheels...

Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Looking for advice regarding larger wheels...

I've got a deal working for some Roush 20x9.5" rims and I've got some questions...

First, this is a pic of the actual rims from the owner:

And these are images off Google of them on Kona Blue Mustangs:

I've never owned wheels bigger than the current 18's I have now, so I am curious what I should be expecting. More worried I might regret it than anything...

Will the ride suffer dramatically? This is my DD and I am on the road 80 miles per day round trip (80% hwy).

Will the larger wheels/tires affect the performance of the car negatively, both acceleration and handling?

Will the stock suspension be reduced able to handle the additional unsprung weight of the larger wheels?

For anyone who has upgraded to a 20" wheel, do you regret? Would you do it again or would you have maxed out at 19"?

This is about to be a significant amount of cash and don't want to make a mistake by doing it.

I look forward to hearing all of your input and feedback.

I do have one more question for now... I currently have a Saleen grille and with me looking at purchasing these Roush wheels, will I be a douche, err, a bigger douche, for mixing Saleen and Roush for my exterior mods? What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

They would look great!!!, ive often rided 20" and it a bit stiffer but it a different driving style and youll get used to it quick enough, the car feel a bit heavier imo but handling is good, i really like mixing a bit of Show n go on a dd, i do have staggered 20''. The only time id love to have smaller lighter Rims n rubber are on the track and if i get to do a burn out, i really dont think 20" look like bling with proper rims n color choice, go for it man they look nice, and for your saleen grill, i dont think it a big deal, is there the saleen decal on it too? Good luck either way

Last edited by mighted1987; 08-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Oh and the commun problem i had with 20" rims
Is most of the time, they are not balanced correctly making not cool vibration at 60-75 mph, but that might just be here where I live every rims shop suck at
Making proper balancement of the rims on the first try.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Buy them

I seen a roush stage 3, 2013 the other day and it so was damn good looking.

For the real question

On my 99 I went from OE 17's to 18x9 and 18x10.5 275s and 315s - boy did it slow down my 260 HP 150K mile car, but the 5.0 I don't think it will be that big of a deal. What's the weight to weight comparison?

Another part to add... My brembo wheels are 19's and heavy. They're OE wheels so stepping up to a 20 cannot be too bad, plus they come stock on roush stage 1 which is just like your car, right?

How do you intend to fix the speedo since you do not have a tuner :O

I call no summer's eve; douche on your part!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Buy them

I seen a roush stage 3, 2013 the other day and it so was damn good looking.

For the real question

On my 99 I went from OE 17's to 18x9 and 18x10.5 275s and 315s - boy did it slow down my 260 HP 150K mile car, but the 5.0 I don't think it will be that big of a deal. What's the weight to weight comparison?

Another part to add... My brembo wheels are 19's and heavy. They're OE wheels so stepping up to a 20 cannot be too bad, plus they come stock on roush stage 1 which is just like your car, right?

How do you intend to fix the speedo since you do not have a tuner :O

I call no summer's eve; douche on your part!
I wish Roush would publish the weight of their wheels on their site... As far as correcting the speedo, I still have my X3 from my '05. As I understand it, I can still read and clear codes with it, even though it is locked to my old 05. I was hoping it could fix that too without too much fanfare. I also have the FRPP Procal tuner ordered, so I have posted a question to Mudflap in his other thread inquiring if the Procal is able to do that function as well.

So many questions/not enough money to say screw it...

Don
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Good point

Why the hell didn't I keep my tuner when I traded... beyond me. I was doing the right thing, but I bet a Ford tech took it. HAHA
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I don't see how you can be douchie by putting Roush wheels and a saleen grille on the ride... I see no issue as long as you don't badge the car as a Saleen or Roush.

I have no help for you on the 20"s but felt the need to input on the styling haha
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Will the ride suffer dramatically? This is my DD and I am on the road 80 miles per day round trip (80% hwy).

- upgrading from 19s? you won't really notice the difference. if you were going from 50 series sidewall to 30, yeah .. you'd notice. they are still plenty comfortable. I went from 19s (40 series) to 20s (35 and 30 series)

Will the larger wheels/tires affect the performance of the car negatively, both acceleration and handling?

- slightly, but I'd say that depends more on their weight than their size, to an extent. I'm not aware of the Roush wheel weight.. but they are a performance company, I am sure it's not terribly heavy. it's negligible, again something you'd only really notice if you were adding an extra 5-10 lbs per corner.

Will the stock suspension be reduced able to handle the additional unsprung weight of the larger wheels?

- yup, for sure, no problem here.

For anyone who has upgraded to a 20" wheel, do you regret? Would you do it again or would you have maxed out at 19"?

- nope .. sticking with 20s. more tire options, slightly better looks (imo, when done properly). you may want to consider lowering your car if you are going to do 20s.. it will look like a 4x4 without it. when you increase the diameter of your wheel, you have to reduce the sidewall of your tire to keep the same overall diameter close to 27", and as such .. you'll see a bigger wheel gap.

I was upset when I first put my 20s on my car, I planned on lowering it .. but I did it in the 'wrong order' and it looked terrible for 2 months.. really embarrassing actually : P. if you want to roll on 20s you have to complete the 'stance or it looks wrong, imo.

good luck with whatever you decide. the roush wheels are nice.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Your ride will get worse compared to the 18's and you'll lose a bit of performance due to the additional rotational mass but probably not enough to bother you. Also, you'll lose some of the "attitude" that sidewall provides, although even 18's don't have much sidewall, so what the heck.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i went from the stock 17's to 20's then back down to 18's.
i like the 18's the best bc theres more sidewall than the 20's, i have 295/45 18 so its a little more sidewall than the average 18" tire.
the stock 17's rode well too, but i wanted wider tires.
ride comfort will suffer some, worse if your roads suck with potholes and such.

but its really personal preference more than anything.
the Roush 20's are 1 of the few 20" rims that i like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for advice regarding larger wheels...