Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
When you get to comparing a used car vs a new car, you are already in a pickle for price / performance as the new car has had ZERO deprciation of value. Add in mods and your just talking out your butt. Where do you end the cheaper car with mods argument.

/rant
Point well taken about the depreciation. The new car has Zero depreciation, but what happens the second you drive the car off the lot? If you buy a good condition GT500, it will hold it's value much better than purchasing a new base GT. I can sell my car for the same amount that I purchased it last year for. How is adding in mods "talking out of your butt". Do you think both cars have the same drivetrain and upgradeability without going with better forged internals?? I've heard of many 5.0's with the lovely Cylinder # 8 issue.

If someone were to give you $1000 for mods in either one. You'd be 550rwhp+ without coming anywhere close to sacrificing the durability in the GT500... where would you be with a GT? How can you not consider upgradeability if that's what he's planning on doing?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

well the gt500 has a great base for improvements if you can afford them...the 2013 5.0 has it's limitations in the short block...IMO the gt500 would be easier to resale..
Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

This has turned into a Shelby bashing thread which I don't understand. I was really thinking about how much better it was then the 97 v6, 97 GT, 2006 GT with suspension mods out the nose, and the 2010 with the M90 and some suspension mods that I've owned.

I guess my GT500 is such a piece of crap I'll sell it on ebay and buy a Camry. I didn't realize it was such a hunk of junk compared to every other mustang that's new on a lot right now.

I'd better go trade it straight away!

Last edited by wcgman; 08-15-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Wcgman....shelbys are so yesterday... come on dude, get with the kool kids! Lol

OP....there is no wrong choice for you. Define your needs desires and fears then make your choice. All are upgrades from your current car. You can't lose.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
see this is why I say stock to stock. Your now comparing a used car price, 5 years old, with a brand new car, and your adding mods. Why not spend 500 on a CRX, drop in a 1.8 with some head work, a ebay turbo kit, and smoke GT500s for a mere 5k total...

CRX???? Now your just talkin' crazy

You want to keep the conversation stock vs. stock, then OK. The 07-09 GT500s are FASTER than any model GT. Thats an accurate summary.

EVEN IF you take the cost of the car out of the discussion and ONLY talk about price of modifications, the GT500 will be making more power for less money becuase they respond better to modifications.

I am not bashing the 5.0s, I LOVE 'em. BUT, having experience with both, I can tell you where I have found the best bang for the buck is.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

^Well put Steve, as always...
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Wcgman....shelbys are so yesterday... come on dude, get with the kool kids! Lol.
I know, right? I SO wish I had a CRX right now. rofl

PS - why hasnt my Shelby doubled in value? Didnt that one guy take the highway to heaven?

Too soon?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT500Steve
CRX???? Now your just talkin' crazy

You want to keep the conversation stock vs. stock, then OK. The 07-09 GT500s are FASTER than any model GT. Thats an accurate summary.

EVEN IF you take the cost of the car out of the discussion and ONLY talk about price of modifications, the GT500 will be making more power for less money becuase they respond better to modifications.

I am not bashing the 5.0s, I LOVE 'em. BUT, having experience with both, I can tell you where I have found the best bang for the buck is.
The CRX statement was to prove a point. When you talk about cost to go fast you can always make the argument of the cheaper car that you can mod. I could have said an old Fox body and been in the same boat.

As for the FASTER comment you made, again, faster has now become the .2 seconds in a 1/4 mile. Screw everything else.

Originally Posted by wcgman
This has turned into a Shelby bashing thread which I don't understand.

I guess my GT500 is such a piece of crap I'll sell it on ebay and buy a Camry. I didn't realize it was such a hunk of junk compared to every other mustang that's new on a lot right now.

I'd better go trade it straight away!
Who bashed the GT500s here? Who said it wasnt a good car, or wasnt fast, or wasnt good with modifications? Oh thats right no one.

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
If you buy a good condition GT500, it will hold it's value much better than purchasing a new base GT. I can sell my car for the same amount that I purchased it last year for
The same thing can be said about any car that holds its value resonably well. The benefit was to the original owner that his 07 is still worth 30, as opposed to a fully loaded 07 GT owner who paid 35 and is now worth 15.

------------------------------------------
All I am trying to get at is the op is trying to make an informed descision. The hype around the GT500s here was starting to excede the facts. They are both a good platform. I myself was in the same boat about 2 months ago. I was >.< close to getting a used GT500 and ended up being able to afford the BOSS so I went that route instead. Even with me owning that, I still dont talk bad about the other platforms. Or think that what I have is God of the mustangs.

Last edited by JDWalton; 08-15-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

All im
Saying is that I have just about as much or a little less invested in mine than a new fully loaded GT. It is an avsolute blast to drive and mines a hell of a lot faster than a GT, or a Boss for that matter. So it's. Not brand new, but it's also not a 20 year old mustang fox body beater car either.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

see that at least sounds resonable, but you added a "fully loaded" to the argument. I havent seen the Op in a while, dont know if he is looking at fully loaded, but consider you can get a brand new 2012 gt (base) for 25 and a 2013 for 27. Where does the price of yours fall with whatever done to it compared to that.

Quick Reply: GT vs GT500