Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

You dont have to go to the insurance company body shops. You have th legal right to choose your own. I just went thru a similar situation, some guy crashed into my car while it was parked, his company appraised it but I told them to cut me a check and I got it fixed at a shop I chose. Just be straight up and tell them to mail the check to you or the body shop you want to fix your car.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
They're trying to make me have it done at his insurance company's body shop. I'm not happy.

There are only 2 shops that I want doing work on my car - people I already know and trust - not some company shop that'll treat me like a bum off the street, you know what I mean?
They can try all they want... if you don't want it done at their shop, then tell them. Suggest your preferred body shop or demand a check for the repairs.

Looks like it's time for a GT500/GTCS rear bumper!

Good luck with the repairs...
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
They can try all they want... if you don't want it done at their shop, then tell them. Suggest your preferred body shop or demand a check for the repairs.

Looks like it's time for a GT500/GTCS rear bumper!

Good luck with the repairs...
I'm thinkin CS. The price will be pretty close to, if not the same, as a stock one. I feel bad for the kid so I'm not going out of my way to screw him like I would someone else.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

I'm thinkin CS. The price will be pretty close to, if not the same, as a stock one. I feel bad for the kid so I'm not going out of my way to screw him like I would someone else.
Sorry to hear about the wreck but good choice on the new rear bumper
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Well, the GT500 bumper is the same as the GT/CS bumper except for how it is painted. This bumper will run you about a $100 more than your stock bumper, but it is worth it! I replaced mine with this bumper when I had my car bumped into in a parking lot in south Florida.

Don't worry about the kid, the insurance company will end up screwing him regardless of what you do after you get the check or do the repairs.

The body shop will usually work with you and worse case you will have to pay the cost difference between the two bumpers.

HTH!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I'm on my second CS rear bumper. Yep I have that kind of luck.

You'll love the CS rear it's more than worth the extra $100.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

They're trying to make me have it done at his insurance company's body shop. I'm not happy.

There are only 2 shops that I want doing work on my car - people I already know and trust - not some company shop that'll treat me like a bum off the street, you know what I mean?
Usually the benefit of going with the insurance company's shop, they will guarantee the work. In other words, if the paint or parts don't hold up as well or better than the parts on the car, they will pay to repair it and make it right again. What is the other guy's insurance company?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
Usually the benefit of going with the insurance company's shop, they will guarantee the work. In other words, if the paint or parts don't hold up as well or better than the parts on the car, they will pay to repair it and make it right again. What is the other guy's insurance company?
State Farm

But the guy I want to go will get the work done the day I have it sent in, almost guaranteed.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

State Farm

But the guy I want to go will get the work done the day I have it sent in, almost guaranteed.
Honestly, that sounds like a really poor reason to go with someone doing cosmetic repairs.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Honestly, that sounds like a really poor reason to go with someone doing cosmetic repairs.
He's also REALLY good. I've known him since I was a kid, and he's done all the work on every vehicle I've had.

I tend to get - preferred treatment - brother in law pricing when I go to him. I also KNOW he'll work with me on the CS rear bumper...

I'm taking it up there tomorrow for the estimate.

I'll use the DVI to either get a Roush or GT500 rear spoiler, or fix my right front break (uneven pad wear and maybe a warped rotor) although it seems to be resolving itself after some hard braking.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 08-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended