Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended

Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Rear Ended

Well, I was stopping as a light was about 1 second from turning red. Stopped - heard screeching - then boom -hit.

The car next to me didn't make the light either.

He was my age - and ironically had been parked next to me at school.

I've got his info, insurance, license info, pics of his license plate, pics of the damage, and the police report filed.

Car runs fine. I think I just need a new rear bumper - but I'm getting the car picked over with a fine toothed comb.

I feel fine - but I can still feel where I hit the back of my head and my lower back hurts a bit. No airbag deployment.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Oh that sucks!

Word of advice, Open the trunk and check the gap between the rear bumper and the trunk of the car. I've been hit like that before and it not only messed up the bumper, but the trunk body.The bumper will usualy rebound (plastic) the trunk (metal) will not.

Even if it looks ok, make sure the shop takes the bumper off and checks for hidden damage.

Also look at the sides of the car where the bumper meets the quarter panel. See if you see an rippling which indicates the mounting holes on the bumper ripped and let the bumper shift.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Oh that sucks!

Word of advice, Open the trunk and check the gap between the rear bumper and the trunk of the car. I've been hit like that before and it not only messed up the bumper, but the trunk body.The bumper will usualy rebound (plastic) the trunk (metal) will not.

Even if it looks ok, make sure the shop takes the bumper off and checks for hidden damage.

Also look at the sides of the car where the bumper meets the quarter panel. See if you see an rippling which indicates the mounting holes on the bumper ripped and let the bumper shift.
Will do! Thanks, man

In an almost psychic twist, exactly one week ago I decided to put my Ford Escape on my school parking pass just in case something like this happened.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Bummer about the damage. Hopefully it all goes smooth with the fix. Not surprising about airbags though. Not sure they'd do you much good getting hit in the rear .
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

That su*ks, that accident will show up on future car fax reports and lower the value. Make sure you go after the "diminished car value" claim.....if available. No matter how minor the accident is, it will lower the value and you might as well get that paid from the insurance company.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ins...20031201a1.asp

Last edited by daredevil95; 08-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
That su*ks, that accident will show up on future car fax reports and lower the value. Make sure you go after the "diminished car value" claim.....if available. No matter how minor the accident is, it will lower the value and you might as well get that paid from the insurance company.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ins...20031201a1.asp
I'm not too concerned about the value. Since I need to buy a Piper Saratoga or Beechcraft Bonanza, and those run about $250,000, it'll be a LONG time before I buy another vehicle.

What exactly is "diminished car value"? I've never had any sort of collision resulting in an insurance claim being filed.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You need to buy an airplane? Really?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

It's essentially to account for you not being able to sell the car for the same price as you would the same vehicle, minus the accident. When a check comes back showing it was involved in an accident, a person is going to offer you less money than they perhaps would if it had never been hit (even if it was only minor). Therefore, your potential to make money back by selling the car has been diminished due to the accident. Because of that, you seek money beyond the repair to make up for the diminished value you car now has.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
You need to buy an airplane? Really?
Well, I'm in school to be a commercial pilot... My friend wants to use start up money from his parent's aviation supply company to start a full service flight center, and the Bonanza and Saratoga are very practical aircraft to do that with.

And, @siggy, thanks - that makes sense

Last edited by Young_Gun; 08-20-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

They're trying to make me have it done at his insurance company's body shop. I'm not happy.

There are only 2 shops that I want doing work on my car - people I already know and trust - not some company shop that'll treat me like a bum off the street, you know what I mean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Ended