Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clarkson's take on mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 03:24 PM
gtaste

Default Clarkson's take on mustang

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...794313,00.html

This new version has been styled to resemble the original from 1965, and that’s a good thing. Less satisfactory is the news that it’s also been engineered to resemble the original with all sorts of technology that in Europe would have been considered old fashioned by Edward Longshanks.

There’s no complex double-stage turbocharging here; no elegantly machined swirl chamber to extract the best possible power and economy from the smallest possible engine. It’s a 4.6 litre V8 with just one camshaft, three valves per cylinder and the sort of power output the average European would expect from a juicer.

The platform for the new Mustang comes from a Jaguar S-type. But then the Americans take it back in time by fitting a solid rear axle such as you’d find on a Silver Cross pram, and a Panhard rod, dismissed by Newcomen as being “a bit too last year”.

So what’s it like to drive? Well, the previous day I’d taken it on a hard lap of the extraordinarily beautiful Laguna Seca raceway, which, because it’s the curliest track in North America, is regarded by racing drivers all over the world as one of the greats. Mansell. Villeneuve. Even Top Gear’s Stig go all misty eyed at the mention of it.

And frankly it was more than a match for Ford’s big daft horse. Its brakes were cooked by turn six; the final slow corner completely overwhelmed the live rear axle; and through the fearsome Corkscrew, which twists down a gradient so steep you can’t even walk up it, I’m afraid Mr Ed was about as pin sharp as a punt gun. I damn nearly soiled myself...
Old 09-26-2005, 03:42 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clarkson's take on mustang

well, jolly good for him. he probably doesn't get the appeal of the big mac, either.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Cruehead
1st Gear Member

Having what I have for all of 27K, I'm completely satisfied. If I wanted to perform on those types of tracks, and if I had the money....then I would buy the Lambo's and Ferrari's that those tracks are best for.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Blackness
1st Gear Member

Sounds like he's married to Europe.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

what a jerkass

This car is about bang for the buck plus some... beautiful styling, impresive interior, and 300 horses starting at about $25k. Demand is so high, people stress out and stuggle to get their hands on one, what other car does that?

I've seen that a-hole on Top Gear, he complains about everything

Old 09-26-2005, 05:19 PM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

I believe the Friggin' Yank doesn't get it does he?

Oh well, let him drive a Mini !
Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

that guy is a total douche.

The solid rear axle is the ONLY way to go for flat trackers.....witness the IRS in the cobra.

It only has one camshaft?!?!?!?!?! yeah....PER SIDE.

again....that guy is a total douche. He hates anything north american and does not know what he is talking about.....although it is funny at the end when he says that the car is horrid but loveable.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

one of the best cars for the money. since most of their 05/06 mustang owners bring their car to a speed track on a daily basis heating up their brakes while their flying into a corner.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:44 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Well as the GT ONLY does 0-60 in 5.2, ONLY 13.5 @ 100 in the 1/4, and ONLY gets 25 MPG highway, and ONLY pulls .87 G's in the corner, ONLY 183 feet stopping distance, and costs a whopping 24k, I can see why hes complaining...cant understand why he didnt mention how UGLY it was too...or bitch about the soft ride...its really a wonder ford can sell even one of them...

yeah...right...

My guess is he drives a lowered fart piped honda that sticks like glue, but rides like a skateboard, and doubt if he could drive it very well either...turns and braking were probably hard for him because his car probably never moved that fast before, his harsh ride/noisy 4 cyl tailpipe 'felt' faster...then again, maybe he's just an idiot with no appreciation for a stock everyday car that can run this strong...

this is the first new car that I EVER thought was anywhere near worth the asking price, and was the first new car I ever ORDERED. bought a few new ones over the years, if I needed one. Didnt REALLY need this one, but son of a gun, I think its he coolest thing ford ever put together...cant wait for mine to get here.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Hammermill
1st Gear Member

I cannot understand where he thinks it looks like the 65'. If anything it resembles the 69-70' fastback IMO. As for the preformance I have to agree with Crue, if you want that kind of preformance you are gonna have to sell an organ to get it in a stock vehicle. Plus, IMO the appeal is the classic muscle car look with modern parts not just the way it handles. I'm not sure where else your gonna get that from any other company or vehicle anywhere in the world but my bets are NOWHERE. And if someone does do it, it won't be for 25-26k base price!

Quick Reply: Clarkson's take on mustang