Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple odd noises from the car that ya'll may be able to diagnose...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Couple odd noises from the car that ya'll may be able to diagnose...

I'm having a few new noises that I can't seem to diagnose, and if I can't figure it out I'm planning on taking the car to the shop in a few hours.

Here are the symptoms. There are two separate noises that are occurring, and I haven't figured either out.

- Noise 1: There is an audible pop when I engage the brake strongly (moderate to hard braking). It doesn't do it when I come to a slow, gradual stop. I've looked it up and found nothing. It doesn't affect the braking performance at all (if it does, it's not noticeable). My only idea at this point is that the brake piston is sticking or something, but I feel like I would notice that in performance. I haven't pinpointed which wheel it's coming from.

- Noise 2: Just started yesterday. I washed the car on Sunday and it started the next time I drove it (highly doubtful that was the reasoning but still haha). Essentially it is a knocking noise that occurs when the car is in motion. It is directly related to the speed of the car (increases in frequency at higher speeds), so my immediate reaction was that something was stuck in the wheel well or something, but that's not the case. I messed with it a bit more, and figured out that if I turn to the right the noise stops while the wheel is turned. It doesn't stop when I turn to the left. It also doesn't matter if the car is in gear or if the brake is engaged. This one really has me confused...the whole turning the wheel thing has me thinking suspension maybe?

So, I think that is all the information that I have gleaned. Anyone have any ideas before I take her in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Is the popping noise on braking coming from the front or rear?

Could be a multitude of things. Do you feel any shaking in the steering wheel when you're braking? Could it be a warped brake rotor? did you wash the car immediately after driving it and spray hot rotors with cold water causing a slight warp?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

I believe the pop is from the front.

No shaking in the steering wheel. As far as I can remember the rotors were cold when I did it. I was thinking something with the rotors too...but I didn't notice any warp when I checked them out. I guess it could be a really minor warp so that it isn't visible. Now that I think about it though...it was about 75 degrees out, and I'm 99% sure the car had been sitting for quite a while before I washed it.

Last edited by HT; 10-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

The popping could also be the strut mounts since they are notorious for failing. I'm sorry, it's difficult to diagnosed these things via the internet.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Oh I know, I appreciate the help. I was just looking to get a few ideas of what is wrong before I take it in. I like to have an idea before I hand it off to anyone.

I'd prefer to solve it myself but I've searched and I'm just not sure.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

It will be interesting to hear what the shop comes up with though.