Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red wrench icon

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Default Red wrench icon

I was driving from St. Louis to Cincinnati today and when I went to get on the hwy I down shifted from fifth to third to cut threw traffic and the car lost all power and the wrench icon on the RPM tac lit up. The car had practically zero power after that, at first I thought I threw the number 8 but when I pulled over there was nothing leaking, no smoke from the exhaust ect..... I turned the car off and then restarted in 10 min later and it was as if it had never happen, the car ran fine the final 200 miles home with no warning lights, no smoke, no smell of smoke or anything else, and the throttle response was as normal. Any guesses to what the hell happen? Should I still take the car in and have it checked? I wouldn't have kept driving but my dad had a heart attack and that is the only reason I was driving home. I think it may be the tune because it is awful "bucky" and sometimes when I down shift the response is slow (but not always), thanks for any inputs.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 11-20-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

it could be the tune - make sure you are tuned for the correct intake. I was running into this issue when they were tuning me for a higher diameter intake..

it could have misfired from the downshift too. I am leaning more towards the tune though since you said it was bucky.. kind of identical to an issue I ran into
Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Was your traction control off when you downshifted? I downshifted like that once to pass some moron (with TC on), when my car felt like it just dropped a boat anchor... kinda worried me at first, thought I broke something... Turned off traction control and no problem since... Matter of fact, unless the road conditions warrant having it on, I normally have Advance Track off or in Sport mode almost always...

Don
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
nolimits

A tune can do this. The drive by wire has safety measures that can be really finicky in the tunes. If it trips it will throw the wrench and the throttle will hang around 2K rpm, with no pedal response. A quick key off/on restart will reset it, though.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by REDBOSS1
I was driving from St. Louis to Cincinnati today and when I went to get on the hwy I down shifted from fifth to third to cut threw traffic and the car lost all power and the wrench icon on the RPM tac lit up. The car had practically zero power after that, at first I thought I threw the number 8 but when I pulled over there was nothing leaking, no smoke from the exhaust ect..... I turned the car off and then restarted in 10 min later and it was as if it had never happen, the car ran fine the final 200 miles home with no warning lights, no smoke, no smell of smoke or anything else, and the throttle response was as normal. Any guesses to what the hell happen? Should I still take the car in and have it checked? I wouldn't have kept driving but my dad had a heart attack and that is the only reason I was driving home. I think it may be the tune because it is awful "bucky" and sometimes when I down shift the response is slow (but not always), thanks for any inputs.
Hi REDBOSS1,

I would advise that you take your vehicle in to the dealership so they can take a look. At the very least it will give you some additional peace of mind. I'm happy to escalate your case for you; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll do the rest!

Originally Posted by Entaille
it could be the tune - make sure you are tuned for the correct intake. I was running into this issue when they were tuning me for a higher diameter intake..

it could have misfired from the downshift too. I am leaning more towards the tune though since you said it was bucky.. kind of identical to an issue I ran into
Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Was your traction control off when you downshifted? I downshifted like that once to pass some moron (with TC on), when my car felt like it just dropped a boat anchor... kinda worried me at first, thought I broke something... Turned off traction control and no problem since... Matter of fact, unless the road conditions warrant having it on, I normally have Advance Track off or in Sport mode almost always...

Don
Originally Posted by nolimits
A tune can do this. The drive by wire has safety measures that can be really finicky in the tunes. If it trips it will throw the wrench and the throttle will hang around 2K rpm, with no pedal response. A quick key off/on restart will reset it, though.
Thanks for all the great information, everyone. I'm sure REDBOSS1 appreciates it!

Have a great day,
Crystal
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Drove the car again this morning and all is well, thanks for the inputs, just scared me when it happened.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My first thought is a dirty contact on the connector to the MAF. A shot of contact cleaner on the connectors can't hurt.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by REDBOSS1
Drove the car again this morning and all is well, thanks for the inputs, just scared me when it happened.
Thanks for the update, REDBOSS1. If you have any future concerns or if you have any other questions, I'm just a PM away.

Have a great weekend,
Crystal