Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering question

Sup fellas, I want to lower the car abit, nothing crazy I just want to get rid of the 4x4 look lol. Question i have is with my suspension do i have to alter anything being i have the performance package? I remember awhile ago when i was thinking of this on my 08 4.0 something about panhard bar, relocation brackets or some sort? but i think if i went that low i would need these parts correct? Again, im not going for a wheel well drop,I'm just looking for about half what it looks like now,that would be good for me. Do i just need springs and everything else i have would be ok? Am I jeopardizing my suspension componets by lowering and not changing anything else but springs? Thanks guys.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

If it were me, I would get an adjustable panhard bar at a minimum. I would also get some LCA's and a relo bracket.

The panhard bar will allow you to recenter the axle (if it needs it). The LCA's will matter for alignment. You will also notice way less wheel hop as well.

Put the springs on, have it checked out. See how it goes.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

If you are looking for a slight drop, just doing the lowering springs alone should be fine. Once the springs settle (around 100 miles), make to sure to get an alignment done. You want to make sure the toe, caster and camber are all in spec. ;-)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I was in the same predicament.. New springs would have me bottoming out on stock struts, so I'd have to get new struts as well. Plus an adjustable panhard bar to prevent wheel hop. Also strut mounts to prevent clunking.
After calculating this up I never got around to spending the money.
However, the other day I just said screw it, and went for the ebaich pro kit. Still anticipating mail delivery even though i still have 5 days :0
Im on stock struts at 75000 miles anyway, so theyre due for a change. over time ill get the struts, panhard, etc.
good luck my friend. Decisions, decisions!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

If you're looking for a mild drop, I'd be looking at either the FRPP "P" springs, or some Steeda Sports. P's are an inch drop, where I want to say the sports are inch in the front, 1.25 in the back? Can't remember. I know Mayo on here has the P springs, and they look fantastic with his wheel and tire combo.

You can definitely get by with pretty much stock everything with a mild drop. Wouldn't hurt to buy a panhard bar if you notice your axle out of alignment. Relocation brackets wouldn't hurt, as they can help even a stock height car, but I wouldn't worry about it if you're trying to save money. You can also flip the strut mounts when you reinstall to try to avoid some negative camber and avoid camber bolts or adjustable mounts.

Hope that helps. I'm in the same boat, as I have some K springs waiting to go on, just trying to figure out what I want to put on at the same time.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
If you are looking for a slight drop, just doing the lowering springs alone should be fine. Once the springs settle (around 100 miles), make to sure to get an alignment done. You want to make sure the toe, caster and camber are all in spec. ;-)
+1....agree with what Kevin said!

Only thing I'll mention is, depending on how wide your rear rims/tires are, you "may" need an adjustable pan-hard bar. If they're stock, your fine....if they're wider than stock, you'll probably notice the rear end shift towards the driver's side (passenger side will be tucked in more).

If you choose to get an adjustable pan-hard bar, I recommend BMR's PHR006, with the poly bushings on both ends. http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=172

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

just dropped my 2013 with wider tires/rims in back and had no issues with everything else stock.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, everyone thanks for the replies! Ok so i should pull the trigger on some FRPP springs? with everything stock? Also being i have the Performance package do i have have to get "GT" springs? and also "GT" panhard bar? any pics of these springs on anyones car so i have an idea? Yes, i do have 20's, 20x10 rear and 20x9 in the front.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkyWitit23
Hey guys, everyone thanks for the replies! Ok so i should pull the trigger on some FRPP springs? with everything stock? Also being i have the Performance package do i have have to get "GT" springs? and also "GT" panhard bar? any pics of these springs on anyones car so i have an idea? Yes, i do have 20's, 20x10 rear and 20x9 in the front.
Here's a set of FRPP lowering springs specifically for a (05-13) V6 on American Muscle's website.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/n-spri...=V6&adtype=pla

It looks as though the BMR adjustable panhard bar will fit on both GT's/V6's (05 - 13)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-adj-panhard-0512.html

I've purchased numerous items from American Muscle and they are a great company to work with and they offer free shipping. They also price match. If you decide to use them, be sure to private message an AM rep and they will provide you with a discount code, which is typically 6% or 7% off. Mustang Forum Member discount. =-)
Hope this helps!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 12-13-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Here's a set of FRPP lowering springs specifically for a (05-13) V6 from American Muscle. Great company!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/n-spri...=V6&adtype=pla

It looks as though the BMR adjustable panhard bar will fit on both GT's/V6's (05 - 13)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-adj-panhard-0512.html

Hope this helps!
Do i need GT springs?

Quick Reply: Lowering question