Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 AM
ford9213

This is why I posted this question, thanks for all the info. Making decisions are a whole lot easier after asking y'all.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
No offense to Murgatroy but Do not do this. Upgrade the shocks/struts, CC plates at time of lowering springs install and go with a PHB or Watts link to make the proper adjustments as well. If you don't upgrade your shocks/struts you will not have a comfortable ride. I have Steeda Sports/Koni Sports/Steeda HD CC plates and my cars ride quality is FAR superior to stock! Look at Koni SRTs if you want to save some change and you're not looking to go to the track. Very high quality and the ride quality is fantastic!
Exactly what this guy said. I have the same setup and it rides much better than stock. I love it. I didn't get a PHB (Panhard bar), but you'll probably need it if you go with lower springs such as Eibachs. It just re-centers the axle. If not, the driver side rear wheel will be sticking out and the passenger wheel will be inset.

But yes, definitely get new shocks/struts. Koni makes very high quality stuff.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

best to get struts with the springs so the springs can settle with the new struts, and the struts can compensate for the springs. I'm running ebaich pro kit with stock struts and the ride is good, not the greatest; ill get struts in the future for better ride quality.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Like Murg implied, there are some ride quality things about stiffer springs on OE shocks & struts that aren't bad and might even be good in theory.

But %critical damping theory does not take into account physical reality, and slamming into the bump stops a lot more often and the pogo-ing that will happen as the stockers start to die sure don't fall into any "good" category that I am aware of.

Choose your aftermarket struts and shocks carefully. The products from some mfrs ride harsher than the products from other.

Norm
Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

I just installed my Eibach Pros last weekend and left the stock struts on. That said, as soon as my car budget allows for it, I will be putting aftermarkets struts on. While the ride is very smooth now and noticeably stiffer, I cringe each time I roll over the speed bumps in front of my apartment. If I go over at any thing other than a slow crawl, I can feel it hitting the bump stops. I have 47K on the stock components so it was probably time for them anyways.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

I agree with upgrade the struts/shocks. I ran with Steeda sport springs and stock struts/springs in my 08 Bullitt and was ready to go back to the stock springs until I bought after market struts/springs.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I put lowering springs on my car that I got from e bay for 129.00 when I did it the car had about 2k miles on it. I never got an adj panhard bar, nor did I replace the factory struts/shocks. The shop that put my springs on said the rear end was lined up fine, I also checked it as well and both sides are the same.

I now have 169k on the car and am starting to have shock and strut issues (mainly the rear shocks). I just purchasd them and will have them installed soon. With your install it may just depend on how many miles you have on your current suspension, if it isnt to many and you dont have the money for the full set up don't worry you will be most likely fine.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

might as well do it right, and do it right the first time. not a job I wanted to tackle twice, I researched the **** out of it and did all of the suspension bits in one swoop. I have done lowering springs on stock struts/shocks on a previous car and I would never do that again.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

The best and most comfortable "ride" will be on stock suspension. The best performance will be with lowering springs AND upgraded shocks & struts.

It drives me nuts when people say the car rides better with lowering springs and matching struts and shocks. It doesn't ride better. It rides stiffer. But the additional cornering grip is totally worth it.

I'm running Koni Yellows with UPR/Eibach Pro lowering springs and the handling is awesome!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

you know tech has come a long way when it comes to suspension in the past few decades, stock suspensions are 100 times better that they were years ago. Just because it says OEM does not make it inferior (on a kia or hyundai maybe ).

Quick Reply: Suspension confusion