Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with key fobs ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Default Problem with key fobs ???

I recently installed a set of Mustang logo projector lights and are having a seemingly unrelated problem with my key fob(s) since. I am thinking that by adding these lights by tapping into the wires carrying the elec. to the overhead interior lights I have messed up something in the computer?? Anyway this is what is happening: when I hit the unlock button only the driver door unlocks, also, until the lights go off (overheads & logo lights) after 10-15 seconds, none of the buttons on the fob will work (like trunk unlock, etc.) Once the lights go off the trunk unlock works again.
Since I hooked this up the same way that you do with the lighted sills I thought maybe someone else has had this happen too. I did re-set the fobs by following the instructions in the owners manual.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Our electrical system to the trunk is opened by grounding the wire, not by powering it like you would do with older cars. When you hit the truck switch, it grounds to system to open to lid. You should of hooked into the other side of the door opening wires. If you are using the power in the right pillar, then go to the opposite side of the 2 wires and hook there. You will power when you hit the button, instead of grounding.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Our electrical system to the trunk is opened by grounding the wire, not by powering it like you would do with older cars. When you hit the truck switch, it grounds to system to open to lid. You should of hooked into the other side of the door opening wires. If you are using the power in the right pillar, then go to the opposite side of the 2 wires and hook there. You will power when you hit the button, instead of grounding.
I hooked up the wires the same way that the instructions for lighted sill plates show. I hooked up the Red wire from my logo lights to the Black/Lt Blue stripe wire.........the Black wire from logo lights to the Green/Yellow stripe wire. This was done in the right pillar.

Right now my key fob buttons only respond when the logo lights are off. So, when I hit the unlock button the driver's door unlocks and the lights come on (along with the inside courtesy lights). If I try to activate any other button...........no response............until the lights go off (10-15 seconds) Then if I hit the unlock button again the system unlocks the driver's door (already unlocked) and again turns on the lights. As far as the trunk button, it only works when the logo lights are off.

Someone said it has something to do with LED lights and the way the current has to flow through them??

Hope I made myself clear as to what is happening.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Update on my lights/key fob situation. I unhooked the projector logo lights and then the key fob works exactly as it did before I hooked up these lights. Next, I reversed the wiring from the logo lights (the red & black wires) .....this made no difference in the way the key fob works so I put it all back to the original way. I am determined to live with it the way it is working for now......unless someone comes up with another solution.