Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket subs on a base system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 PM
omgMHomg

Default Aftermarket subs on a base system?

I know this topic always comes up, but I've been poking around different forums and still can't really find out what I need to know...

I'm a huge music nut, it's probably my biggest passion after my car, and when I built my car I opted to go with the base sound system thinking I could just buy an adapter for the dash and throw in a single din head unit and be done... but after knowing that you need a whole new dash kit and being limited to a double din head unit, it sucks to say but I'm not in the position to spend $1,000+ on all that BEFORE speakers subs enclosures and an amps.

So my question is: Is there any safe way to run say... a 12" sub to my stock head unit without frying it, or is my only choice really to buy some aftermarket 6x9 speakers and try to get as much bass as i can out of them. I've done some audio stuff to my past car but I'm by no means an expert.

I'd really appreciate some input/help from people who've done it before because I know I'm not the only one who has this problem lol.
"Shoulda got a shaker" >.<
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Adding an amp is not that big of a deal. btw, I have started with the shaker 500 and it was pretty disappointing.
The signals to the rear speakers on the shaker 500 is not filtered, they have all of the frequencies. This makes it pretty easy to get an amp with speaker inputs and drive it with the rear speaker signals. I think your rear speakers are the same. The mid-high range door speakers are pretty easy to replace, they are driven by the head which has about 12W RMS. If you get high power speakers the head will not be able to drive them very well.
The shaker 500 has 8" subs in the doors, the factory speakers are crap, imho.

There are a lot of info in the Audio section. https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...ker-500-a.html
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I'm doing the same thing. I just installed my wiring kit. Just gotta get the amp in there and hooked up with my 12. You just need a power, ground, turn on, and rca cables. Once those are all installed, youll need a hi-lo adapter to adjust the frequency and power to the amp to level it out. Then you should be good. Theres a thread on the wiring.. Its still missing info but it got me halfway through my process. Im currently researching where to splice the hi-lo adapter. good luck!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-a-2013-a.html
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
omgMHomg

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
I'm doing the same thing. I just installed my wiring kit. Just gotta get the amp in there and hooked up with my 12. You just need a power, ground, turn on, and rca cables. Once those are all installed, youll need a hi-lo adapter to adjust the frequency and power to the amp to level it out. Then you should be good. Theres a thread on the wiring.. Its still missing info but it got me halfway through my process. Im currently researching where to splice the hi-lo adapter. good luck!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-a-2013-a.html
I posted on another forum as well... people are saying to splice your adapter to the rear speaker wires. i'll post a link in case you want to look at it, i've gotten some good replies.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...se-system.html
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

FWIW, I just put in a double din Kenwood for $200. It's nothing fancy, but gets the job done and sounds great.
If you do tap into the rear speakers, I would put a switch to the amp. That way you can turn it off. If you buy the right kind of amp, you can do it without RCA cables. I don't know what that amp is called,just know I had one.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
FWIW, I just put in a double din Kenwood for $200. It's nothing fancy, but gets the job done and sounds great.
If you do tap into the rear speakers, I would put a switch to the amp. That way you can turn it off. If you buy the right kind of amp, you can do it without RCA cables. I don't know what that amp is called,just know I had one.
Some amps have both types of input... If the amp has high-level input, you dont need RCAs or a convertor. Tap into each rear speaker and connect it to the correct wires on the amp's high level input harness.

Low-level input has to use RCAs and will need a convertor with a factory head unit. Again tap into the rear speakers, connect the wires from the rear speakers to the line out convertor, then plug the RCAs into the amp.

This site has some basic info to help understand a few things, but its a great place to purchase from

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lVtR0bq.../oem_amps.html

Last edited by red96v6; 07-23-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by omgMHomg
I posted on another forum as well... people are saying to splice your adapter to the rear speaker wires. i'll post a link in case you want to look at it, i've gotten some good replies.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...se-system.html
Thanks, I just need a diagram for which wires specifically are which. I'm not sure where to splice on those speaker wires. Are they the wires connecting directly to the rear speakers?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Thanks, I just need a diagram for which wires specifically are which. I'm not sure where to splice on those speaker wires. Are they the wires connecting directly to the rear speakers?
Yes, tap into the wires coming directly from the rear speakers. Should be easy to reach from the trunk. Tap into it a few inches away from the connector in case of problems, have plenty of wire to splice back together.

for 05-09 at least, the wire colors are

Left Rear Positive(+) GY/LB
Left Rear Negative(-) TN/YE

Right Rear Positive(+) OG/RD
Right Rear Negative(-) BN/YE
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Both the rear speakers do have polarity shown on them, make sure you hook them up correctly or you will lose a lot of bass.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Can someone help me out on electronics here? I'm having trouble. Heres my thread, scroll down for the latest progress:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...rter-help.html

Quick Reply: Aftermarket subs on a base system?