Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Performace Package, aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Default V6 Performace Package, aftermarket

I've got a 2013 V6 automatic with Pony Package, so I've got 235/50-18 Pirellis as the only performance upgrade, afaik. I'm looking to duplicate or better the Performance Package, aftermarket.

Here's what the Performance Package includes:
• Strut-tower brace
• Larger front sway bar and SVT rear sway bar
• Unique front springs
• Unique front and rear calipers with performance friction pads
• 19” painted aluminum wheels
• 255/40-19 summer-only tires
• Unique stability control calibration
• 3.31 limited-slip rear axle

I've got a strut tower brace on its way. My first mod 3.31 will probably happen in September/October, with a tune, and maybe CAI.

Questions. Be nice, I know so little

What would be an example aftermarket equivalent (or better) for the "Larger front sway bar and SVT rear sway bar"? Is there a different approach I should take to upgrading suspension?

How about equivalent (or better) brakes? Is that something I can upgrade with my existing wheels?

I'm not looking to replace my 235-18's until they wear some more, but when I'm ready, is there any trick to putting on 255-19's? Will they just fit?

Does anyone know what "Unique front springs" and "Unique stability control calibration" are?

Thanks,
Amy
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

The biggest question is what are your plans with the vehicle? Drag/Road/DD etc etc

A lot of the answers to your questions will vary depending on your ultimate goal of the vehicle

as for the tires that again will vary on the plan for the vehicle but in general 255 tires will fit on 8.5" or 9.0" width rims without any hassle
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Thanks, Baird.

In September I'll be getting a "practical" car for groceries and bad weather, so the Mustang will be a fair-weather DD and fun car. It's already low mileage and will be lower when I have the other car, so gas mileage is no longer a concern. No racing, but I do want to rack up road kills

I see a supercharger in the two- or three-year future.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Default Slippery seats

I've got the leather seats that come with a 2013 V6 Premium. In hard cornering it feels like I'm going to slide out of them. Is there anything to be done about that short of replacing the seats? Or do I just corner harder and see if I actually do slide out of them?

I'm not sure what body roll feels like. Could that be contributing to the feel of sliding out of the seat?

Twenty years ago I had a Tempo sport with cloth seats. I'd corner to the point of howling tires and I felt more planted than I do in the Mustang. The stang will do the same speed without howling, but I still feel less planted. Or maybe I'm just less fearless than I was twenty years ago

ETA: Oops, that was supposed to be a new thread. Can't find a way to delete it.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

understandable,
You will be surprised at the MPG you will get even after modifying and tuning the vehicle
but definitely understand the more practical vehicle for bad weather and winters.

Not sure what Unique stability control calibration is my guess is probably just a slightly different tuned stability control giving for better traction or ability to not lose traction.

The unique front springs are just stiffer springs in the front, I personally wouldn't bother looking to equal those and would just slap in some lowering springs and maybe look into maybe putting in some better shocks/struts, something like Ford Racing, Koni, lakewood or Eibach.

AM.com does sell Eibach, Koni and Ford Racing and do offer full packages some more extensive then others..
http://www.americanmuscle.com/1112-s....html#shop-by4

As far as unique rear and front brakes my guess is probably just a type of ford racing upgraded calipers/pads. You can convert those to virtually anything from Baer, Brembo etc etc but I wouldn't worry about those until you are close to supercharging the vehicle. I would just upgrade the lines to steel braided those alone will make your brakes feel like a whole new world

When it comes to tires I would look at what size do you plan on going with 18", 19", 20" and so on... I got 19s on my GT and love them but I have found 19" tires tend to come in limited sizes and tend to cost more they seem to be the oddball of the tire world. As for which tire to choose that is a debate that could go on forever if you plan is to only make it a basically hot/dry weather vehicle that will narrow down a bit the selection to choose from.

example would be
Nitto NT05's
Nitto NT555's
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar (stock tires in the performance package)