Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering GT again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

i got the goodyear ultra grip ICE WRT and they have done a really good job for me
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Those tires had some some favorable reviews and owner testimonials. My guess here is most of the people complaining...Either have a heavy foot and can't reign it in on the snow or they are equipped with summers and haven't got a clue or they have all seasons on and overestimate the capabilities offered with them.

Or

They have an Automatic Transmission in their Mustang.

---
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea I think the auto would cause you issues with unpredictable timing of a gear change might happen on a patch of ice and make things get ugly. when i first started driving this car when the snow started to come down. My biggest fear was the weight. I had that 2012 WRX and it felt super light and was about 500lb lighter then the mustang. Once I got into this car you can really feel the extra weight and that made me hope that doesnt cause it to wanna plow or try swing tail out. so far neither have happened
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Mustangs are front heavy so pointing these cars in the snow with proper tires will usually result in going where you point it. So if the rear kicks out point the wheel where you need to be and ease the throttle.... sort of like drifting. The rest will catch up. And remember to put 150lbs bags of salt and/or kitty litter in the trunk. This will help keep the rear planted.

If the OP is a pretty responsible driver, I see no issues with a Mustang daily driven in the winter.

---

--
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I guess I am in the minority. I did not say that I have never driven my Mustang in the snow. 2-3" and no go was a bit of an exaggeration, but not as bad as "20 degree grade with solid sheet of ice", lmao. Yeah, right maybe with a 40 mph rolling start.

I do just fine, and don't need a "driver mod". Thanks for the concern, 05xrunner. I do have a manual and a set of winter tires that I install every year. I like to use them because the softer rubber gets better traction on cold, salty, and wet roads.

I just choose not to drive my mustang in the snow/ice because I have a 4WD truck. I also don't want to be responsible for telling OP that "These cars are great in the snow." and then him/her going out and crashing a Mustang because he/she didn't know the limits of their ability or the car's limits. My driving experience is a lot less stressful with a 4x4 than in my RWD mustang. When comparing the 2, yeah, the Mustang sucks in the snow.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yea i had 2 50lb bags of sand as close to over the axle as far apart as i could. I would imagine that helped me out some as well

You can have ANY car and it could be great in snow. AWD, SUV, truck and if some asshat idiot thinks he can drive how he wants no car is good in snow if you drive stupid. My wife has a new impeza and its AWD and she has complained about sliding around and stuff cause she has a bit of a lead foot but in same day and conditions while i was out I didnt have one slip. Doesnt matter what you drive if you dont drive it properly no amount of tires, AWD,FWD,4x4 is going to help you out

Last edited by 05xrunner; 02-07-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Well, I guess I am in the minority. I did not say that I have never driven my Mustang in the snow. 2-3" and no go was a bit of an exaggeration, but not as bad as "20 degree grade with solid sheet of ice", lmao. Yeah, right maybe with a 40 mph rolling start.

I do just fine, and don't need a "driver mod". Thanks for the concern, 05xrunner. I do have a manual and a set of winter tires that I install every year. I like to use them because the softer rubber gets better traction on cold, salty, and wet roads.

I just choose not to drive my mustang in the snow/ice because I have a 4WD truck. I also don't want to be responsible for telling OP that "These cars are great in the snow." and then him/her going out and crashing a Mustang because he/she didn't know the limits of their ability or the car's limits. My driving experience is a lot less stressful with a 4x4 than in my RWD mustang. When comparing the 2, yeah, the Mustang sucks in the snow.

The same can be said for a 4WD vehicle. If you don't know how to drive it then you can still wipe out and kill yourself and others on the road. Not slamming you here. I think your advice is sound. You need to know how to drive the vehicle you're using and get a real good feel for its limits and the conditions you're driving in. This applies to any vehicle and all road conditions. Some people are just better at it..more alert, more responsive and not so spirited depending on the road conditions. Some require more training...

http://www.racenow.com/home.htm

I remember there was one year when the GMC Jimmy 4WD vehicle back in the day was statistically in the most accidents all year round. It was prone to flipping over when accellerating hard on slick roadss...Likely because as with any 4wd the entire vehicle tends to jerk to the right when you get on it. There is a false sense of security given when you simply drive a 4WD. If you're an asshat in a RWD then you're likely the same asshat in a 4WD. Just saying.

ALSO...Just like drivers....not all Winter tires are created equal.

A LOT of homework is required in this area. And for some...a bit of practice.

BTW...a 20 degree incline on ice is very possible in a mustang....I'll have to shoot some video.

---
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
I also found the GT too difficult in the snow even with top snow tires. Parked it and bought a winter beater. Winter is a bit harsh here in the northern NH mountains.
Same deal here...winters aren't always terrible, but there's too many hills and steep streets and I would be scared to death of crashing. It's a lot easier to drive on snow when you're mostly just dealing with flat ground. Plus, the salt eats cars alive here.

I park mine in the garage for the winter, I did have a beater but it blew up so I borrowed one for this winter.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

u dudes need to stop driving these in the winter...
by an old scrapper for winter...i'm lucky i got a company van..me wife uses this
Name:  DSCF1216.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  119.5 KB
bet u never see many of these in the usa?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
You can have ANY car and it could be great in snow. AWD, SUV, truck and if some asshat idiot thinks he can drive how he wants no car is good in snow if you drive stupid. My wife has a new impeza and its AWD and she has complained about sliding around and stuff cause she has a bit of a lead foot but in same day and conditions while i was out I didnt have one slip. Doesnt matter what you drive if you dont drive it properly no amount of tires, AWD,FWD,4x4 is going to help you out
The same can be said for a 4WD vehicle. If you don't know how to drive it then you can still wipe out and kill yourself and others on the road. Not slamming you here. I think your advice is sound. You need to know how to drive the vehicle you're using and get a real good feel for its limits and the conditions you're driving in. This applies to any vehicle and all road conditions. Some people are just better at it..more alert, more responsive and not so spirited depending on the road conditions. Some require more training...
Both of these points are spot on. I think we're all drinking the same kool-aid.