Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchasing 2010 gt500 or gt premium w/ roush s/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

GT500 has a forged motor that will 800HP, how much will the Coyote handle?
GT500 has a tranny the will handle more power than the gt's tranny.
GT500 already has the fuel system to handle the power, and the front strut mounts, rear lower control arms, and the list of better parts goes on.
Plus the GT will cost an extra what $9000 for blower and install, what's the VMP kit to get the GT500 up to 700-750 RWHP, cost $2000-3000.
Seams like a no brainer to me, but the GT is new, but it will never be a Shelby.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

If you want a sleeper go with the GT. If you want to stand out go with the 500. Power upgrades will be cheaper on the 500 since it has a better base to start with. Handling is already there as well.

I went to the Shelby Nationals in Tulsa OK this weekend and the GT owners were all seemingly wanting 500's. Just saying.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

GT500 in my opinion.

At the end of the day, no matter how many bolt ons you put on that GT, the VIN is still a GT. That GT500 will have higher value than the GT will.

And I say this owning a GT with a Roush supercharger
Old 06-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

If the OP ever decides to mod the GT 500 he's automatically devalued it since it retains value as original equipped. Once modded its no better at value retention than the 2014 GT.

There is value in the 2014 GT to be seen in the future...as 20 years from now the s197's willbe going through what the foxbody 5.0's went through....they become rare to find in OEM condition since most of them will have been beat to $h!t by then. So if you keep it pristine...it'll pull numbers like that Shelby is now.

As far as having fun adding mods.... you'll have much more fun with the 2014. There's not much to do to make up the difference between it and the older SOHC 5.4 liter in the GT 500. And exceeding that with a DOHC 5.0 and either a SC or a few internal mods is easy as pie.

You can get forged internals on the 5.0 and have a party exceeding 800HP easy.... And with a more modern and efficient engine that will also have future enhancements where the heads will support direct port fuel injection etc etc etc. The possibilities are more abundant with the 2014...
---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
GT500 has a forged motor that will 800HP, how much will the Coyote handle?
GT500 has a tranny the will handle more power than the gt's tranny.
GT500 already has the fuel system to handle the power, and the front strut mounts, rear lower control arms, and the list of better parts goes on.
Plus the GT will cost an extra what $9000 for blower and install, what's the VMP kit to get the GT500 up to 700-750 RWHP, cost $2000-3000.
Seams like a no brainer to me, but the GT is new, but it will never be a Shelby.
^^^^This is what I said, only in short form. For reliability reasons, i'd get the gt500. You were all ready going to pay extra for the roush blower with the gt, so take that money and put it into the gt500 and make stupid power if you want.

The supercharged 5.0 will be faster compared to a stock gt500, but odds of something breaking, clutch, tranny, motor are exponentially greater than with the shelby.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
If the OP ever decides to mod the GT 500 he's automatically devalued it since it retains value as original equipped. Once modded its no better at value retention than the 2014 GT.

---
You are crazy! the gt500 still has a built motor and bullet proof tranny, it will hold it's value, modded or not. just look at what people are getting for the modded ones.

20 years from now a modded gt500 will still be worth way more than any 2014 gt.

Last edited by moosestang; 06-17-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You're on crack....

I was just looking and pricing yesterday.... Low mileage 2011 GT's are going for 19 to 30k depending on condition and mileage. That's on par with the earlier GT500's with moderate mileage. They're just not what you think anymore.

The bullet proof Tranny and a worked and prepped crate motor can be purchased for the GT and still be less out of pocket than forking it over for a new GT500.

Don't steer the OP into a collector car that ain't special enough to warrant retaining 50% of its value as soon as you drive off the lot.

THAT's crazy.

oP will in the long term save money and have more fun while making more memories on the GT.

Seriously there are plenty of five point Ohhhhs's spanking the snot out of GT500's

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-k...e-streets.html

Here's a king of the Streets head to head sponsored by our friends at AM and Super Fords Magazine.

Every single GT 500 entry got spanked by a performance White 2011 five point "Ohhhhh my is that a GT 500 You paid way too much for and ain't worth anywhere nears what you paid for it" that I'm destroying and embarrassing right now?

Oh wait... Did you need to borrow some money to get it fixed. Hera ya go... Take it from what I saved modding my GT and it's five point "Ohhhhh so sorry to have embarrassed you"

--

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-17-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

he's looking at a used gt500, USED!!!!!!!!!! Why the hell are you bringing up new gt500 prices?

Congratulations Cruzinaround, you have made it on my ignore list. I ignore your posts like you ignore the facts in this one. You are number 3 in 8 years, so it's a very elite list.

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
You're on crack....

I was just looking and pricing yesterday.... Low mileage 2011 GT's are going for 19 to 30k depending on condition and mileage. That's on par with the earlier GT500's with moderate mileage. They're just not what you think anymore.

The bullet proof Tranny and a worked and prepped crate motor can be purchased for the GT and still be less out of pocket than forking it over for a new GT500.

Don't steer the OP into a collector car that ain't special enough to warrant retaining 50% of its value as soon as you drive off the lot.

THAT's crazy.

oP will in the long term save money and have more fun while making more memories on the GT.

Seriously there are plenty of five point Ohhhhs's spanking the snot out of GT500's

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2011-k...e-streets.html

Here's a king of the Streets head to head sponsored by our friends at AM and Super Fords Magazine.

Every single GT 500 entry got spanked by a performance White 2011 five point "Ohhhhh my is that a GT 500 You paid way too much for and ain't worth anywhere nears what you paid for it" that I'm destroying and embarrassing right now?

Oh wait... Did you need to borrow some money to get it fixed. Hera ya go... Take it from what I saved modding my GT and it's five point "Ohhhhh so sorry to have embarrassed you"

--

Last edited by moosestang; 06-18-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

How many posts this week have you read about how someone is taking their GT500 and moding it into a GT? Debadging doesn't count.

Might be something to that. Like maybe the 500 was better to begin with.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
he's looking at a used gt500, USED!!!!!!!!!! Why the hell are you bringing up new gt500 prices?

Congratulations Cruzinaround, you have made it on my ignore list. I ignore your posts like you ignore the facts in this one. You are number 3 in 8 years, so it's a very elite list.
Meh...I'm honored...not like much of what you have to say is worth the time either.

And you've been posting over 11k times...That's a lot of nothing good to say.

Used GT500 compared to a new 2014 GT Premium. I got that. You don't seem to get it. New 2014 is a better deal and more fun long term than any pre-2013 USED GT500.

Here's some salt in the wound... a direct quote from the owner of a pre-2013 Shelby GT500.

They are not worth very much as compared to a gt premium of the same year. I see them selling for high 20's and low 30's so even if I had kept it garaged forever, in a temperature controlled place, put it in one of those bubble tent bags it would still only be worth "maybe" $5K more years later than if I was to actually drive it. Cars like this are meant to be driven as they will never increase in value. They produce way to many per year to be worth more than original pricing.
That said... what I said still stands. For a car with little value retention to begin with.... modding it would only devalue it more. Driving it alone would devalue it. So why care if its a Shelby GT500? If the goal is to have more fun and mod and see results that are more impressive.... go for the 2014 GT. Its new to begin with.

Basically if you're going to mod the GT500 you might as well debadge it. Because the more you mod it and drive it the closer in value it comes to 2014 GT Premium modded.

BOOM

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-18-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Quoting a Shelby GT500 owner

Quick Reply: purchasing 2010 gt500 or gt premium w/ roush s/c