Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Irritating squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Christian07

Default Irritating squeal

I'm sure this is a simple problem but I can't seem to find the solution.
I'm hearing a real annoying squeal. It's not as loud as a bad belt but it's real annoying. A real light squeak/squeal. Kind of like a bird chirping. The noise appears randomly but never when I'm at a stop. However, it appears when I am accelerating. It happens more often when I let go of the gas and shift to neutral. But when I start to break it goes away. I thought it was the pulley from the alternator so I got it rebuilt and the sound was still there. I even replaced the idle pulley (even though I already knew t wouldn't be it, I gave it a shot) Help!!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Worn brake pads?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Could be brake caliper sticking a tiny bit, warped rotor, body flex making seals squeak, bushings on control arms... is it worse on bumpier roads, does it go away at different speeds, is it a regular pulsing noise? I'd guess that it's pad/rotor or bushing on a control arm. Given that there's zero sound when you're at a stop, it's very unlikely in the mechanicals to me.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Christian07
I'm sure this is a simple problem but I can't seem to find the solution.
I'm hearing a real annoying squeal. It's not as loud as a bad belt but it's real annoying. A real light squeak/squeal. Kind of like a bird chirping. The noise appears randomly but never when I'm at a stop. However, it appears when I am accelerating. It happens more often when I let go of the gas and shift to neutral. But when I start to break it goes away. I thought it was the pulley from the alternator so I got it rebuilt and the sound was still there. I even replaced the idle pulley (even though I already knew t wouldn't be it, I gave it a shot) Help!!
Christian07

Any way you can get a video of this if possible so we can get a better idea? It can be difficult to isolate something like this without seeing/hearing the car in person but I'm sure we could help!!

Alex
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Christian07

Originally Posted by wcgman
Could be brake caliper sticking a tiny bit, warped rotor, body flex making seals squeak, bushings on control arms... is it worse on bumpier roads, does it go away at different speeds, is it a regular pulsing noise? I'd guess that it's pad/rotor or bushing on a control arm. Given that there's zero sound when you're at a stop, it's very unlikely in the mechanicals to me.
You may be right. I messed around with it today and noticed when I ride on the break very lightly, it begins to squeal. It also squeals on rough rodes. I'll take a better look into it this weekend. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Christian07

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
Christian07

Any way you can get a video of this if possible so we can get a better idea? It can be difficult to isolate something like this without seeing/hearing the car in person but I'm sure we could help!!

Alex
I tried posting a video but the sound of the air blocks out the squeal since it only happens when I'm in motion.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Christian07
I tried posting a video but the sound of the air blocks out the squeal since it only happens when I'm in motion.
Got it! As much as I hate to say it I might recommend getting a couple different opinions if you're able to do so. It could be something really small! Take a look locally if you can to get another set of ears on it!

Alex
Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

If the noise goes away when your breaking it sounds like brake pads are worn out! the pads have a little piece of metal on them when the pad wears this makes contact with the rotor
Old 07-05-2014, 12:18 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Most likely is a brake issue, usually due to worn pads. A visual inspection and you can tell right away.