Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie supercharger questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie supercharger questions.

I've been posting about my wife's 2005 mustang that has 150k miles and is getting to where it needs timing chain work. She's at a fork in the road, in one direction we can spend a minimal amount to keep it running with minimal repairs with the intent to change vehicles soon, the other direction is to spend some serious coin to possibly drop in a rebuilt engine and make this car sexy again. I looked into dropping a 5.0L Coyote into this car but it's just too labor intensive.

So I got to looking at superchargers, a Roush stage 1 will get it to 475hp which is a huge gain and definitely sexy. I see where a lot of supercharger advertise being able to be put on a stock spec engine. Is that really a true statement. If I put a rebuilt 4.6L engine in there with a SC can I really expect to get 100k miles out of the car without issue? She does drive it much easier than I would but I still have my doubts.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The Roush superchargers are designed to go on stock engines with a change of injectors. They run low boost which is why they offer a warranty which wouldn't be applicable to your 150K engine. I had one on my 2005 and it was awesome. My only concern for you is the mileage on your engine to handle the extra pressure if driven in anger.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

There are guys with more miles on a car and supercharged. However you still have to anticipate normal component failures. If maintained properly you can do it. Good idea to have leak down test done before moving forward. I would call a reputable shop. I know brenspeed has bought a high mileage stand and then added supercharger to see how it would handle. They did a leak test and it moved forward with the project. Couple things to consider would be oil catch cans on both sides. Tranny catch can. Replace spark plugs and they will need gapped anyway. Where are you located
Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 AM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

We're in middle TN. If I put in a SC I would likely also install a quality reman engine like a 4.6 so you wouldn't be running boost on a 150k semi-tired motor.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Zane- not sure where you're located but you seem pretty indecisive, and I'm not sure if location is an issue. For those of us in CA we also (some of us) worry about emissions. I think the REAL questions you need to ask, and only YOU can answer: What am I trying to accomplish?

You've mentioned Coyote, rebuild, adding a blower.... does SHE want those things? Do you care MORE about reliability or performance? Does she need 500HP?

Honestly... for a rebuild and a blower and tuning, not to mention suspension, trans, and supporting mods to make it reliable and comfortable to drive... expect to spend $7-10K. That's probably conservative. OR... sell the car and just buy her something with 500hp. Shelby, Roush, Saleen, BOSS and already built Mustangs are a dime a dozen and all over craigslist and for sale forums. Figure out what you really want AND need... and go from there. Don't just **** away the money to **** it away. Unless it's REALLY just burning a whole in your pocket! If that's the case. Send it to me!

Best of luck, dude. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

FYI you posted in between my reading and replying. So now I DO know where you're located. Hahah.