Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

familiar with the Ford Racing Pro-Cal Tune for mustangs (2013) ? FFRP

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM
mpukr9djsocr

Default familiar with the Ford Racing Pro-Cal Tune for mustangs (2013) ? FFRP

I have a '13 GT, Ford Pro-Cal tune from dealership. With k&N filter and roush axle backs.

recently the ford dealer at golf mill said they would inspect my car with the oil change, "may" have reset PCM, or cleared codes ....

shop manager swears they did nothing, or whatever was done wouldnt affect my tune .... 5,000 forum posts and articles read later, I'm at 50/50 if anything can disrupt this tune. some "experts" say yes, some say no. (clearing the PCM that is)

long story short, I got Ford to resend me another replacement Pro-Cal tuner with my cars tune on it. Problem is I dont know if the tune is still on my car or not. and rather than follow the instructions to leave my mustang running for 2+ hours while the tuner re-downloads the tune, I'd like to know first if i have to, and then maybe I can even sell the tuner with the tune on it if I dont need it ! +++

anyone know where I can go (shop, etc...) to have them determine if my tune is on there ? Chicagoland and suburbs .... ?

any way to use the current tuner to first determine if the original tune is there ?

and before anyone says or asks ....
(i dont want to go back to golf mill ford as they are the ones that I am disputing about the work that may have caused my tune to disappear)
(no, I cant feel if the tune is gone, ... it's not that big of a feel in pants mod)
(yes i've called some other Ford dealerships service departments around NW Chicago, some say they dont have the tool to test if the tune is there (probably a lie), some say they dont do custom work (another lie, because a Ford dealer installed this tune and custom work from the original buyer here in Illinois)
(yes i've talked to Ford racing department 800 number, they are not very helpful, and they even suggested I call Roush, which doesnt make sense)

so I have put in the effort, too much if you ask me, and would like any additional help you guys can offer !!!

this is what I have ....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-p...blue&GID=50288
Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM
mpukr9djsocr

sorry, this is the link to what I have ...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-p...blue&GID=50288
Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

The install takes about 20 minutes whether you're loading the tune or going back to OEM. Unless they did something like that the tune is still in there. Clearing error codes will not remove the tune.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:05 PM
mpukr9djsocr

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
The install takes about 20 minutes whether you're loading the tune or going back to OEM. Unless they did something like that the tune is still in there. Clearing error codes will not remove the tune.

ok. the manual that came with the ford tuner said to leave the car on for 2 hours while the tune downloads. ???

can I check if a tune is still on there by plugging it in and accessing some part ?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mpukr9djsocr
ok. the manual that came with the ford tuner said to leave the car on for 2 hours while the tune downloads. ???

can I check if a tune is still on there by plugging it in and accessing some part ?
Who are these 'experts' that say a code clearing will wipe your tune?

As already stated, unplugging the battery or simply resetting the codes won't clear the tune. The codes are in KAM (Keep alive memory) which requires battery power to keep them in the system. The Tune is in the EPROM of the PCM which requires power to wipe it clean when the appropriate command is received by a tuner device.

Now, if the dealer updated your PCM firmware/software then yes, your tune was wiped out. Ask them specifically if they updated the firmware/software of your car. If they didn't you have nothing to worry about.

Something to consider though, if you already have an aftermarket tune on your car and the tuner (yes even ford's procal device) was not the original one used to tune the car, you will need to have the factory tune put in the car's PCM to begin with. Otherwise you can brick your PCM if the tuner you use was not the same one used to tune the car originally and that other modified tune is still in the PCM.

If you are uncertain of what's on your car at the moment and don't want to talk to the dealer, the best thing to do would be to have the dealer re-flash the PCM. That will make certain the stock/factory tune is on the car. Then you can load whatever you want.