Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang Premium V6 cooling fan problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM
sbknutti

Question 2006 Mustang Premium V6 cooling fan problems?

I have a 2006 Mustang Premium V6 4.0L. I have been having problems with overheating. So far I have flushed the system, replaced the bottom radiator hose, replaced the thermostat housing and coolant temperature sensor, I have also replaced the engine cooling fan. I found some melted wires on my old fan and when I direct wired it to the battery it didn't work, so I replaced it. After all of this work, my cooling fan STILL will not come on. I have checked the fuses and the relays, they are good. The new fan works on direct wiring to the battery. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution to this? As long as I am driving the car the temp stays within normal limits. But if I have to sit in a traffic jam, it starts to overheat. I need some help PLEASE! Thank you!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

check the fuse for the fan, and check the fan relay operation.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by sbknutti
I have a 2006 Mustang Premium V6 4.0L. I have been having problems with overheating. So far I have flushed the system, replaced the bottom radiator hose, replaced the thermostat housing and coolant temperature sensor, I have also replaced the engine cooling fan. I found some melted wires on my old fan and when I direct wired it to the battery it didn't work, so I replaced it. After all of this work, my cooling fan STILL will not come on. I have checked the fuses and the relays, they are good. The new fan works on direct wiring to the battery. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution to this? As long as I am driving the car the temp stays within normal limits. But if I have to sit in a traffic jam, it starts to overheat. I need some help PLEASE! Thank you!
Assuming when you checked the operation of the new fan, you direct connected it to the battery like before? If it didn't turn on when you direct connected the fan to the battery, how are you connecting the fan to the battery?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:14 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

somewhere on one of the forums is a great write up with photos of someone replacing the stock high and low relays with higher amp models and bigger gauge wire. the wires in the fuse box are too small and heat up and melt the fuse box. the write up explains in detail how to take apart the fuse box, what relay,wires to use and what wires you need to dig out of the bottom of the fuse box. I did a quick search and couldn't find it. could have swore I bookmarked it. anyway, its some info if you choose to go this route, good luck
Old 10-06-2016, 11:46 PM
sbknutti

Thanks for your replies. I found the problem. I had installed the new thermostat housing and coolant temp sensor when I still had the old fan. When I plugged everything in, the melted wires in the old fan shorted out the new temp sensor. I installed a new temp sensor today and now everything is working fine! Thank you for taking the time to answer my question though.