Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang 2013 GT 5.0 A/C Compressor Grind noise on startup, Blows hot air

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang 2013 GT 5.0 A/C Compressor Grind noise on startup, Blows hot air

Hello all,

I've searched a few threads, I know this seems to be a common issue with the 2010-14 mustangs but I haven't seen an issue like man posted anywhere. I have a 2013 5.0 with 84,xxx miles on it. Havent had any issues until now...

About a week ago I noticed the A/C was not blowing cold, thought it may just need a recharged. Figured I could wait a few days but then on startup one day, I heard this grinding noise. Popped the hood and narrowed it down to the A/C compressor, it was definitely coming from there. I took a few vids, please tak a look.

The noise goes away after a minute or two. When the A/C button is turned on, the compressor spins but when I turn it off, its stops spinning but looks like it kinda sputters to a stop.

I am not familiar with working on A/C other than recharging but I've done some basic work on my cars ( brakes, shocks/struts, etc ). Does it look the like compressor is dead/dying? or can the clutch be swapped out on the compressor? Would a recharge of Freon help?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

A charge of freon won't fix a mechanical issue. Plus, if you have a leak a recharge will just vent back out into the air. Use manifold guages if you're trying to check system integrity (charge state and overall fitness of the ac system).

Either the clutch is going out or the compressor is worn out or both. Check for wetness around the compressor between the clutch and compressor body.

Wetness indicates a bad compressor seal which would leak freon and oil. It's best to replace the compressor with clutch at that point.

if that's ok and you can get A/C gauges to check the system and that looks ok but the noise exists, it's an AC clutch.

If the clutch can be replaced with the compressor still mounted in the car, then go for it. If however you have to remove the compressor to replace the clutch, just buy a new compressor with clutch since you'd have to open the system anyway and the time and labor to replace the clutch and reuse the old compressor outweighs the ease and cost of just swapping the complete clutch/compressor and recharging the system.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks for the advice. I try to get a reading from the manifold guages and go from there. Will update once I get some results