Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Seal in trim- help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
I replaced mine that were doing the same thing. I went to box lumber store and picked up a roll of truck camper seal, 30' for 11$. that is enough to do both sides with 1 additional if you mess up. I painted one side black so the grey wouldn't show thru the gap. removing the trim is tricky but if you go slow its not that bad. first off, pull the rubber gasket down starting at the top of the curve at the front and work your way in both directions. once you get to the front, its mounted with plastic push pins that don't need removed, just let hang. then work your way back to the rear corner, there is a white clip that holds the rubber to the car, carefully pop that out as you will reuse it, then work your way down to the bottom back, simply pulling the rubber out and off the seam. now you have uncovered the screws and the 1 locating pin (may be 2 not sure)mark or remember where that goes for future use. now the fun part, cleaning all the old foam gasket and adhesive off the plastic. I tried lots of things and goo gone worked the best. it still took a while and when I got most of it off, I went to the tub and used hot water and dawn to clean the trim piece. once your done with that, look at the top of the trim, where the old foam was mounted. there is a straight line/ridge that runs front to back on the outer/exterior side and another fairly straight line/ridge along the inner side. the OEM gasket basically followed these 2 lines. at the sharp top corner you can see it gets thin then widens up. I used our island for the install as it was wide enough to lay trim on but narrow enough to keep it low to surface and upright. take a look at the inside edge and get a feel for how it runs. lay the flat, straight side (that you should have painted black) along the flat outer line/ridge. do that in a direction that is easiest. IIRC the thickest the OEM gasket got was 3/4 ", so I used a tape measure and made marks about 6" apart so I could have a reference line to cut. now simply cut the excess off. now you have a nice new 3/4" closed foam gasket. simply cut the contours of the inner ridge (sharper top corner) and cut slits where the screws and reference pins go, install and have adult beverage. any ?'s just ask. good luck
Could you provide a link for the seal you bought so I know what I am looking for? Also, how did you get around the needed holes? Just poked it with a knife?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Build...rd=camper+seal

cheaper now than when I bought it. and yes, I just used a razor blade to cut a slit where the holes needed to go. the goop that was recommended before would work but would be a mess and wouldn't seal IMHO as well as the foam tape. if in the future you needed to remove the trim, it would be a mess. good luck
Old 10-12-2017, 07:20 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Build...rd=camper+seal

cheaper now than when I bought it. and yes, I just used a razor blade to cut a slit where the holes needed to go. the goop that was recommended before would work but would be a mess and wouldn't seal IMHO as well as the foam tape. if in the future you needed to remove the trim, it would be a mess. good luck
Would this work?

Amazon Amazon

I am trying to avoid the ordeal where I have to paint the tape. I worry that would just cause cracking in the future and wouldn't' look good. But man, not a lot of options for black tape. It's all gray.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

yeah that would work, looks like the same stuff tho more expensive. by paint, I meant I just dusted one side with black paint, enough not to notice the grey if one was looking thru the small gap between the trim and car. honestly once I got it all back together I really cant tell. I didn't make it "solid" I guess your meaning.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

yeah that would work, looks like the same stuff tho more expensive. by paint, I meant I just dusted one side with black paint, enough not to notice the grey if one was looking thru the small gap between the trim and car. honestly once I got it all back together I really cant tell. I didn't make it "solid" I guess your meaning.
Well I was going to get the gray stuff you suggested and realized there is none for sale around me. It would take 1.5 - 2 weeks for it arrive. With more rain on the way, I want to get this done. And its supposed to be nice this weekend. So I got the amazon version. Maybe I can sell the other pack and make it a $15 dollar job and with it being black from the start, I won't have worry about changing the color.

We will see what happens.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Did the first door today. It was a lot easier to pull everything out than I thought. The big door weatherstrip slipped out from behind the side panel near the latch and I couldn't seem to get the panel off to slip it back in so I will deal with that later. The tape was also wider than the original seal, but that didn't' seem to matter; it just filled some empty space.

Its definitely thicker than the older seal. And the corner was difficult. I think I have some creases in mine. I might pull it off and redo. I followed the line but there seems to be enough space in the corner to go over top of it a little. See the pics. You can see it disappears from view, but you can see it when you look in.

Good thing - there was no wind noise this morning when I took it to work on the interstate.
Attached Thumbnails Door Seal in trim- help-seal_notinstalled.jpg   Door Seal in trim- help-seal_corner.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

your pretty much right on track. before you do anything to that side in the pics, pull the other side and look at both sides of the contact area where the original seals go. one side is pretty much straight or even with either the back or front, I cant remember, the other is tapered and very thin in spots, mostly around that top back corner. once you see the raised line (inside I believe) you will know where to trim the foam at. yes the camper trim is wider than the oem stuff but easy to trim and once you do, you wont know its there yet create a good seal.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

your pretty much right on track. before you do anything to that side in the pics, pull the other side and look at both sides of the contact area where the original seals go. one side is pretty much straight or even with either the back or front, I cant remember, the other is tapered and very thin in spots, mostly around that top back corner. once you see the raised line (inside I believe) you will know where to trim the foam at. yes the camper trim is wider than the oem stuff but easy to trim and once you do, you wont know its there yet create a good seal.
The picture above is the one i have done. I compared it to the driver's side and it seems the corner has the stripping go out of view too. But I might redo it make it a little more visible for piece of mind. As we both indicated, it's wider so I have some room to play with it.

I did follow the line, and you are correct, its on the inside. That is why I thought it was odd that it didn't fill the corner. But I hadn't planned on trimming the extra width. It seems to just hang out a bit in the empty space behind the plastic trim. So I thought, why mess with it?

It's also a little thicker than the original so the outside trim sits a little bit further from the car then originally, but I was able to still put in the screws and it doesn't really look bad. It will probably compress a bit over some time. I might have to re-tighten the screws in a month.

First rain is on Sunday. We will see how it goes. If no water, I will do the drivers side.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:51 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Everything went perfect and still going well. Thanks for the great tips. I saved tons of money with the camper tape.