Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Seal in trim- help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Seal in trim- help

Hey Guys,

I need to replace the seal that lines the door trim on the outside. See photo. It is coming out on both sides. However, when I search all I find is the trim itself or the weatherstripping under it.

Any knowledge on the part I need to look for? A part number? A website link?

Any extra advice is appreciated it. Like, "If you replace this, there is a good chance you will break X. But this part too."

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Door Seal in trim- help-mustangseal.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn. Have you considered using a gasket maker paste instead, like RTV sealant or silicone or something else in a squeeze tube? Any water or wind leaking into the cabin?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Damn. Have you considered using a gasket maker paste instead, like RTV sealant or silicone or something else in a squeeze tube? Any water or wind leaking into the cabin?
On the passenger side, yes. But I tracked that down to a retainer clip for the wiper blade covers. However a little still comes in. So I think those seals finally broke.

I have never considered the paste stuff. Didn't know that was a thing.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The paste stuff is more of a general idea for sealing things like windows (think caulking a house) and etc. I would look for something that is recommended for automotive use, that can withstand higher winds and freezing temperatures and hot temperatures too above 100 just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:29 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Before I do that I want to investigate the part. Having access to a replacement would be a nice comparison. Plus, I assume that would be like glue. So once I put it on, it won't come off again, including the trim piece itself.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:34 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I know there is a product at auto parts stores in a tube to attach rubber seals, door seals, trunk seals, etc. To the car. Used it in the past, no issues. I know in the hardware stores you can get a caulk that dries clear, and is all weather. Lastly, there is a wealth of "how-to do's" on "U-Tube" - My brother is a #1 car buff, fix and repair himself, he is ALLWAYs checking "U-Tube" when he is going to unknown territory. I've used it also.

I used the caulk on my brother's recommend to attach those panels on the doors, soft material, part, near the armrests/door handles. The good thing about it is that it is water soluble, and you can easily clean up the "whoops!" things.

Last edited by algregory; 09-13-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added door panel part
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
I know there is a product at auto parts stores in a tube to attach rubber seals, door seals, trunk seals, etc. To the car. Used it in the past, no issues. I know in the hardware stores you can get a caulk that dries clear, and is all weather. Lastly, there is a wealth of "how-to do's" on "U-Tube" - My brother is a #1 car buff, fix and repair himself, he is ALLWAYs checking "U-Tube" when he is going to unknown territory. I've used it also.

I used the caulk on my brother's recommend to attach those panels on the doors, soft material, part, near the armrests/door handles. The good thing about it is that it is water soluble, and you can easily clean up the "whoops!" things.
If it is water soluble wouldn't this be a bad product for seals that keep out water?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:32 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

I replaced mine that were doing the same thing. I went to box lumber store and picked up a roll of truck camper seal, 30' for 11$. that is enough to do both sides with 1 additional if you mess up. I painted one side black so the grey wouldn't show thru the gap. removing the trim is tricky but if you go slow its not that bad. first off, pull the rubber gasket down starting at the top of the curve at the front and work your way in both directions. once you get to the front, its mounted with plastic push pins that don't need removed, just let hang. then work your way back to the rear corner, there is a white clip that holds the rubber to the car, carefully pop that out as you will reuse it, then work your way down to the bottom back, simply pulling the rubber out and off the seam. now you have uncovered the screws and the 1 locating pin (may be 2 not sure)mark or remember where that goes for future use. now the fun part, cleaning all the old foam gasket and adhesive off the plastic. I tried lots of things and goo gone worked the best. it still took a while and when I got most of it off, I went to the tub and used hot water and dawn to clean the trim piece. once your done with that, look at the top of the trim, where the old foam was mounted. there is a straight line/ridge that runs front to back on the outer/exterior side and another fairly straight line/ridge along the inner side. the OEM gasket basically followed these 2 lines. at the sharp top corner you can see it gets thin then widens up. I used our island for the install as it was wide enough to lay trim on but narrow enough to keep it low to surface and upright. take a look at the inside edge and get a feel for how it runs. lay the flat, straight side (that you should have painted black) along the flat outer line/ridge. do that in a direction that is easiest. IIRC the thickest the OEM gasket got was 3/4 ", so I used a tape measure and made marks about 6" apart so I could have a reference line to cut. now simply cut the excess off. now you have a nice new 3/4" closed foam gasket. simply cut the contours of the inner ridge (sharper top corner) and cut slits where the screws and reference pins go, install and have adult beverage. any ?'s just ask. good luck
Old 09-15-2017, 03:57 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Do a search on youtube 05-09 mustang window trim seal leak
Old 09-15-2017, 05:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

On the "water soluble" issue. Once it dries it is good to go. My brother used it to stick Mercedes symbols/metals what ever you call them on his Mercedes wheels. You know those, can't think of the words right now. But the symbol in the middle of the wheel, and there they have stayed. He lives upstate NC from me, so he surely gets those things wet. FWIW