Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emergency brake cable wearing thru?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 PM
no_good_nicks_left

Default emergency brake cable wearing thru?

Has anyone noticed their emergency brake cables wearing thru where they pass through the rear control arms? Both sides have worn thru the rubber, but I don't think there's been any damage to the steel cable within yet. This is on my '08 V6 model. Just wondering if there might be a TSB out there before I head to the dealership. If this isn't a design coming flaw, then I don't what is.

thanks

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails emergency brake cable wearing thru?-cable1.jpg   emergency brake cable wearing thru?-cable2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 06:01 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Agree that it's a design flaw but as far as I'm aware, there's no TSB and it isn't a common issue. Might be a good excuse to upgrade the lower control arms.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

From here, it looks like it's only worn through the sacrificial sleeve, and has only just started to wear into the cable's outer shell.

It's a cheap but effective way of ensuring that the cable survives the warranty period. And frankly, that's all that Ford cares about.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:02 PM
no_good_nicks_left

Agreed, x2. I probably won't get any action out of Ford, so I'll likely find some durable rubber hose to split and then wrap around as a cheap way out.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by no_good_nicks_left
Agreed, x2. I probably won't get any action out of Ford, so I'll likely find some durable rubber hose to split and then wrap around as a cheap way out.
1 - use a zip tie to secure the cable a little better to the control arm, one is resting on the arm the other looks like it flops around in the hole. Neither is good for wear.
2 - lightly sand the hole the cable goes through. One of your arms looks like it has a ton of rust and dirt build up which will act like sand paper if the cable is always rubbing against it. Securing the cable better will reduce the sandpapering effect but unless you clean the openings up a bit, it will still be sand papered.