Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got it! when should I seal and wax it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just got it! when should I seal and wax it?

I will apologize in advanced for the following. I am very **** when it comes to my vehicles and the following was written and posted on a few SVT Lightning sites. Therefore just replace truck with Mustang and every thing else applies. Since this may be of some help I figured I would post it:

Zaino Application

NOTE: Zaino is a synthetic polish therefore it is important to remember that once applied it is not like an ordinary wax that can easily be stripped off. It basically has to wear off. You can “wax” over Zaino, but you can’t Zaino over wax. Zaino has to be applied to a wax free/grease free surface.

1. Wash truck with the Dawn dishwashing soap. This will strip any wax or grease residue that may be present on the paint. Use a good quality wash mitt such as sheep skin. Do not use just an ordinary cloth. A good wash mitt along with plenty of suds is designed to pick the dirt up into the mitt and not leave it on the surface of the mitt where it can get dragged around and introduce scratches in the paint.

Do NOT use the same wash mitt for the tires, rims and exhaust as you use on the paint. You could pick up some pieces of dirt etc that could cause scratches to your paint. Use an old wash mitt for the tire, rims and exhaust.

It is also a good idea (ok **** LOL) to use 2 wash buckets. One with the carwash soap and one with clean water. Once you have washed a section rinse the wash mitt in the clean water bucket then use the carwash soap bucket. This reduces the possibility of having some fine dirt in the wash mitt that could cause scratching.

2. Get a 20oz size or so plastic spray bottle. Fill it 2/3 full of clean water. Put about half a cap (from the Zaino car wash bottle) of the Zaino car wash in with the water. Put the spray nozzle back on and mix solution.

You will use this to lubricate the paint when claying the truck.

3. Use the Zaino, or any good brand of clay. If it is the Zaino clay it comes with two pieces in the bottle. Take one and separate it into 2 pieces. Main reason for doing this is IF you DROP it on the ground you MUST throw the clay away. Do NOT bother trying to get the dropped clay clean because you will never get all the little dirt specks out, some you won’t see but if you try to use it after dropping on the ground you WILL see nice little scratches in your paint.

Now with your piece of clay in hand, spray the mixed solution on an area of about 1 sq foot. Spray generously (the solution is cheap so don’t worry about over kill) if you spray to lightly if will dry up quick, which makes it easy for the clay to STICK to the paint (no problem) except when it sticks you’ll most likely to drop it. Move the clay back and forth or up and down (not in circular motions) until it feels smooth or feels like it needs more lubrication. You will know if you are picking stuff up because it feels a bit rough, or kind of like clicking while you go back and forth. When it is real smooth you know the area is done. You may also find most the truck feels smooth as you clay, but down around the fenders, bottom of the door etc will most likely be the areas that need the claying.

As your claying you want to turn the clay frequently, knead it where you’re turning the area of the clay you used into itself to expose an area of clay that has not been used yet. If you use the same area of the clay, especially after you feel a rough spot on the paint surface you will be dragging the stuff you picked up across the paint. Myself I would recommend after you do 1 – 2 areas to knead the clay and use and area that hasn’t been used yet.

4. After you finish claying wash the truck again, this time use the Zaino car wash.

5. Dry the truck using a good quality Microfiber towel or 100% cotton towels (made in the USA). The good brands not the cheap crap from overseas, because even though they say 100% cotton they have other materials in them that could scratch the paint, this goes for Microfiber towels as well. Stay away from the real cheap deals in auto parts stores etc. There may be other recommendations for drying from other post so you decide which suits you best. I would highly recommend using the Microfiber rather then the cotton towels because it will reduce your chances of introducing scratches.

6. After the truck has been dried your ready to polish using the Zaino. If you do not have the ZFX I would HIGHLY recommend you get the ZFX. The following is assuming you’re using the ZFX, if not the dry time may be much longer after you put a coat on.

7. Mix the ZFX with the Z2 or Z5 using the 2oz bottles provided in the kit. If you fill the bottle close to 2oz (approx. 1 1/2oz or 2/3rd full in the plastic bottle should be plenty for 3 coats) then you will want about 8 drops of the ZFX. Mix well for about a minute. Let sit for about 5 minutes while you get things ready.

8. Get your applicator ready by wetting it and ringing it out good. This helps so it doesn’t absorb a lot of the polish. After the 5 minutes re-shake the bottle again and now you’re ready to polish. On the sides of the truck, doors, fenders, tailgate etc put the polish on in an up and down motion (not circular) just straight up and down. Put it on LIGHTLY I would say about a dime size amount of polish on the applicator will do about a 2 foot section or so.

On the hood, do the same straight application, from the windshield to the front of the hood, not from one side to the other, from the windshield to the front of the truck.

The trick is doing very thin coats of Zaino. A 2oz bottle filled about 2/3’s full (with the ZFX kit) should be plenty to do 3 coats for the entire truck.

9. Once you are done applying the Zaino with the ZFX I would wait about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes find an area you can run you’re finger across to see if it is clear and shinny or if it looks smeared.

It WILL be HARD TO SEE the Zaino polish when it has hazed if you have a light color like silver. I had silver and it is a pain to see but now I have sonic blue and you can tell a little.

NOTE: Zaino does NOT haze like normal wax. It is very light to almost clear.

You want to make sure that it is NOT smearing. It won’t hurt the paint, it will mean the Zaino has not dried completely and it will be a PAIN IN THE @SS to take off. If it does smear with the finger test wait another 15 minutes or so and check again.

When it is dry, it is very easy to buff off. If you feel like you’re really having to buff the hell out of it to get it off (towel DONT feel like it glides right across the paint) then it is not dry and it’s just smearing around.

IMPORTANT, when buffing off the polish to use same type of towels, highly recommended to use Microfiber or (100% cotton made in the USA). Turn your towel frequently when buffing off the Zaino polish, like any other polish/wax.

Once your done buffing off the first coat you can apply the second coat (only if you’re using the ZFX) otherwise I think you have to wait like 8 hours in between coat. When using the ZFX you can only put a max. of 3 coats on in a day. You should really notice a nice difference after 3 – 5 coats. Some people use the Zaino Gloss enhance (detail spray) in between coats. I have done it before and not done it and didn’t notice any real difference. So myself I wouldn’t waste it between coats.

NOTE: Just a note about why I recommend up and down motions and NO to use circular motions is that regardless how hard you try not to introduce micro scratches to your paint or “swirls” it is almost impossible to not have some. Mind you these are extremely light and would be hard to tell.

It is much harder to see micro scratches “swirls” if they are horizontal or vertical to the body. When
Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice write ups.

As for the towels, I highly recommed these guys. I shopped a little for price, they seem to be the best. Great towels!

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=29280
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

I use a chamio or however you spell it
ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Nice write ups.

As for the towels, I highly recommed these guys. I shopped a little for price, they seem to be the best. Great towels!

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=29280