Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally found the best speaker setup.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 PM
PullTab

Default Finally found the best speaker setup.

I have a 2014 Mustang GT Premium Brembo package w/navigation and the door subs. I've gone through 3 different sets of speakers. I bought the speaker adapters from the 2011-2012 mustangs to adapt a coaxial 6x8 instead of the component 3" speaker(or what ever trash they are). I also dynomatted my doors... Note: You should dynomat the crap out of the plastic door interior, not the actual metal door frame sheetmetal ( or do both, but the plastics are important to dynomat). So... First I started with the
Kicker 40CS684's for a few months. All you reviewers saying that the kickers are so much better than stock are full of ****ing ****! I wanted to put the stock speakers back in so bad! So, instead I wasted more money and installed the alpine spr-68's which sounded just as bad. All of the speaker review websites are scams. The factory door speakers sound better than most of the 5 star review crap speakers out there. This weekend I bought Infinity Kappa 86cfx speakers. I had to trim the tabs off of the door adapters to make them fit, but they are absolutely the best sounding most balanced speakers I've ever had in a car. Maybe the other Infinity 6x8's are good too, I don't know, but these are amazing. They have a button on the tweeter to adjust to. +0db. or +3db. I kept mine at +0db. That's why I bought these. The tweeters on the kickers and the alpines sounded like tin cans, and were harsh with sucky midrange. The other speakers had crap midrange and sucky bass, and with adjusting the EQ, everything still sucked. The Infinity's definitely fill in the missing midrange, and the speakers are perfect at zero EQ settings.

Last edited by PullTab; 06-03-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:50 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I am using kickers, and soon infinity for the deck, and it sounds SO much better.

You see, the factory speakers are matched to the factory radio, by power and
frequency ranges. I have an EONON Android radio now, and the factory
speakers could not handle the lower frequency ranges at higher power. So,
I went with Kicker CSC68s 4-ohm front, and Infinity PR8602CF 3-ohm for the
deck. That will increase volume a little so can better shape the sound. With
the fader at 0, the fronts way over power the rears. With the infinities, it will
either even out, or I may need to +1 front. I will see, once they are in.

Kicker speakers are for a different sound, not a BAD sound, but different ranges.
I exclusively use Kicker, they are great for Heavy Metal, and rock. It all depends
on your preference in music. With the infinities, it should balance out for me.
I have been doing car stereos for 20+ years, and no one has EVER said my
stereo sounds like ****, EVER...

You can't expect any good bass with any oval speaker, I have information on oval -vs-
round in another post here... The main issue with oval speakers, is the coil and
magnet are NOT oval, so the sound shape is wrong going into the cone from the
start. You also don't get good bass with any coaxial, because there is a HOLE
in the middle of the speaker cone for the post the tweeter mounts on. Distortion
on oval speakers is also projected more, so, I never over power them. So, your
6x8 has both a 6" and 8" cone bias, so the distortion and sounds go across both
biases... So, I never use an amp that = or > the speaker wattage.

The surround and cone material also shape the sounds. Rubber surrounds are
better and more responsive that foam or paper. The infinities I got are rubber,
with a solid cone. Up front, I don't need that since I got the Shaker 8" subs in
the doors.

As far as the button, yes, but you can't adjust them once you're done installing them.
I put them on +3, and EQd them lower, so I had the extra range if needed. This was
in my Charger... Kappas are damn good speakers...

Kickers are almost all the same, just different power ranges.

I personally stand behind Kicker, because if my application, everyone is different. I am
looking into the lower left and right kick panel speaker application. I have seen them in
the Mustang, just not sure if they were custom, or bought as a kit.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:55 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Oval is an inefficient shape for woofers, you get a little more distortion with
oval at higher volume. The oval speaker was simply made to fit an
application, but then more people just started using them. The 6x9
covers the same area that an 8" round would, but fits in a longer,
thinner area.. Televisions was one of the main reasons for oval, so they
could fit them in an area with restricted height, but have some length to
cover the same basic area of the round counterpart.

IF the magnet and coils were also oval, the sound shape would be improved,
with less distortion at higher volumes. However, it is a myth, the belief that
oval speakers are incapable of producing the high fidelity sound that a round
speaker is capable of.

The common argument is that the larger and/or odd shape of the oval cone causes flex in
the cone itself and thus creates more distortion due to a round shape being inherently more
stiff. Also, the fact that oval speakers create an odd dispersion pattern as they approach beaming,
which they do, but it's not necessarily a detriment.

Oval cones, due to their odd/dissimilar cone profile and their not being symmetrical all around tend
to lessen single distortion peaks and "spread it around". A lot of the time, they can have less overall
distortion in the region where "breakup" would occur due to this.

A 6x9 has very close to double the cone area of a 6" driver. This can be effective in a lot of different
ways. Such a driver can be designed to accomplish a much lower bass response (around an octave).
Such a driver can be around 3db more sensitive on the same power level across the same bandwidth.
Cone area wins over excursion for performance every time.

The 6x9, for example, will beam like a 6" driver on the 6" axis, and like a 9" driver on the 9" axis. You
could potentially use this to your advantage, especially in a car or other highly reflective environment
where you want a higher direct to indirect sound ratio. The horizontal off axis performance is very good,
where the vertical axis has "poor" dispersion comparatively, but it all depends on the application.
A driver that beams like a 9" on a given axis means surfaces in line with said axis are not reflecting as much
content as the speaker approaches the treble region, where the 6" axis can be aimed more toward the
listener.

I'm not in any way stating that an oval speaker is superior, but simply that in many, if not most cases
an oval speaker can equal and in some cases better it's equivalent round speaker based on
application and environment. Inside a car, is highly reflective, and deck speakers reflect right
off the rear glass... You'll get better saturation with an oval speaker -vs- round in this
application. The door speakers don't even face you, they face directly left and right. The
oval shape allows a wider angle in the dispersion of sound.

If you were to replace all the ovals with round, you will notice the sound saturation has
gone down, because it's now more a directional sound. So now, yeah, you DO need an
amp to make them louder, only to make up for the dispersion loss.

As far as distortion with oval, the best way to prevent it, is to under power them.
150 watt speakers, use a 125 watt amp, for example. Since you have a saturation
level with oval, you won't need to max power the drivers like you would a round one.