Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corroded BCM connector

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 03:56 PM
Bobs07Stang

Default Corroded BCM connector

Hello,

Ford dealer diagnosed corroded BCM connector on my '07 Stang which is causing issues with break lights. Connector was cleaned but issue appears again after two weeks. Ford no longer makes part and can possibly find in a salvage yard. Looks like issue started from a prior water leak.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the connector? Based on pictures, there are a lot of wires in the harness with this connector. Will more potential issues be created by trying to splice so many wires?

Thanks in advance for any experience others can share.

Bob.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:56 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The connector needs thoroughly cleaned, use a tooth-brush. The metals need coated so the
corrosion does not return. Dialectic grease will help keep the corrosion from preventing
contact. Use a good contact cleaner, in a bowl, that you can continually rise to keep brushing
the harness end, AND the pin sockets on the SJB. Remove power from the SJB while you are
cleaning it. Once you're all done, then put dialectic grease on the plug end, move across
the holes as you apply a film of it. Then plug them into the SJB...

Replacing the connector(s) does not help, the contacts are on the ends of the wires, and they snap
into the connector. You would have to replace each female end, or splice in a new harness one wire
at a time. WAY WAY too much work...

I would also try and spread the pins out. Lean the top rows upward, the bottom rows downward,
so there is pressure on the contacts in the harness. It's an old trick, but works a lot of the time.
You don't need to BEND them a lot, just a tad.. This will make it a tighter fit, and the male ends
will be pressure fitted in the female end as they slide into the harness/plug. I mean, just a
millimeter of bend.. This keeps pressure on the female side, the pins will be leaned into the
slots... Don't know if I am explaining it enough...
Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Bobs07Stang

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
The connector needs thoroughly cleaned, use a tooth-brush. The metals need coated so the
corrosion does not return. Dialectic grease will help keep the corrosion from preventing
contact. Use a good contact cleaner, in a bowl, that you can continually rise to keep brushing
the harness end, AND the pin sockets on the SJB. Remove power from the SJB while you are
cleaning it. Once you're all done, then put dialectic grease on the plug end, move across
the holes as you apply a film of it. Then plug them into the SJB...

Replacing the connector(s) does not help, the contacts are on the ends of the wires, and they snap
into the connector. You would have to replace each female end, or splice in a new harness one wire
at a time. WAY WAY too much work...

I would also try and spread the pins out. Lean the top rows upward, the bottom rows downward,
so there is pressure on the contacts in the harness. It's an old trick, but works a lot of the time.
You don't need to BEND them a lot, just a tad.. This will make it a tighter fit, and the male ends
will be pressure fitted in the female end as they slide into the harness/plug. I mean, just a
millimeter of bend.. This keeps pressure on the female side, the pins will be leaned into the
slots... Don't know if I am explaining it enough...
Thanks for the recommendations '08MustangDude! More than one Ford dealer has tried cleaning the female connector with contact cleaner and then applied the dialectic grease. This will correct the issue initially, but then returns again. After several tries, they are now recommending getting the connector from a salvage yard and then splice in the new harness. This looks like a lot of wires and wonder if just going to create new problems.... if a good connector can be found from a salvage yard. It seems this water issue is prevalent and makes me wonder if I'd just be buying another corroded one.

Appreciate the recommendations and suggestion on ever so slightly bending the pins for a better contact.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

If you are gonna splice in a new connector? THESE are the ****!
https://awesales.com/products/nec-wa...ire-connectors

Heat shrink and solder at the same time... I just ordered a 280 piece kit from Wish.com...

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 01-02-2019 at 04:51 AM.