Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise-control fritzed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:57 AM
oldrascal

Default Cruise-control fritzed?

Picked up my 2005 GT on Friday ...... and just love the thing to bits. But I may have a problem and some advice is needed. Being UK based and having to import the GT privately, it is pretty hard to get authoritative advice this side of the Pond.

I understood that all GTs are fitted with cruise-control as standard, and my car certainly has the controls fitted to the wheel spokes. But it doesn't work. When I press the ON button and then the + button, no light comes on and there is no speed hold. So is it possible that it is not fitted even though the controls exist? Or is there a fuse/relay which may have blown?

Thnks in advance.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Cruise-control fritzed?

Hmmm...

First... be driving down the road... hit the ON button ( you get NO indication that it is "ON".... give it a few seconds... ((Once you turn it ON, it stays ON untill you turn the car off))... get your car to the speed you want then hit the +/Set Button.... you should get a little bright green speedo icon on the dash when the cruise is kicked in and controling the car. remove foot.

If that doesn't work.... then it isn't working!... dealership time!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:35 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

oldrascal,

Long story short. Take it to the dealership. There of course are a variety of things that could be wrong. That being said, here is my brief story.

I bought my car from out of state. After my wife flew there to pay for it she put about 50 miles on it and then we had it delivered via a transport company to our house. It was delivered to our front door without a hitch. My wife wanted to immediately take it for a spin. We got about 1 mile from our house and the car quit. I mean it died. It didn't spit and sputter for fuel or anything else, it just went dead. We got it started and returned home. It went to the dealer and after a couple of worthless fixes FORD sent a new computer for the car. Guess what? After they installed the new computer the cruise control would not work. The symptoms were EXACTLY as you described!!! We took it back to the dealer. They hooked up the computer to try and find the problem. The problem was the cruise control was not "ENABLED" in the new software that was installed onto the new computer. You might want to have the dealer verify that it is turned on in the software of the computer.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

I think it only works above 40mph...or whatever that might be in k's. try it at like 60 at hit the on button, then press the plus button once and let off the gas. It should engage then.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Lawman165
1st Gear Member

I use mine at 30 mph in a school zone all the time with no prob.