Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert Top Deforming

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 03:32 AM
RainyDaye

Default Vert Top Deforming

Had my 2006 V6 convertible for about 2 weeks and I'm noticing that after putting the top up there are a few spots on either side of the top that seem to be deformed as if screws or something is poking into the top while down. I don't see any obvious items in its way. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks!

------------------
2006 V6 Convertible
Black inside and out
Pony Package & IUP
Old 11-14-2005, 03:37 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vert Top Deforming

I have a couple spots like that where it seems to be a little indention. Take a picture to show us exactly what your talking about so that I know for sure were on the same page.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 AM
RainyDaye

Already tried to get a picture, but combine a black top with a cheap digital camera....

The deformations are very small right now, but it's only been two weeks, so I'm more concerned with long term damage.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

On mine... on the very top - over the rear seat section - there are a couple of "bumps" where it looks like there might be some Hog Hooks under the top clamping to the frame. It appears as if they are going to poke through the top in time.

I hope I am wrong about THAT!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
RainyDaye

Prof Wizard - Have the bumps gotten any worse over time?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:11 PM
hspg

Thats why I won't buy a vert.........there too easy to rip
Old 11-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Hrm....I learned to take care of my stuff a long time ago---that's why I can own a 'vert [8D]

Living in the South makes owning a ragtop fun! It's 72 deg. out right now! I grew up in midwest/north---if I lived there now, I really doubt I would have gotten a 'vert. So, it depends on what you're looking for...

Now troll--get back under the bridge
Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ConVERTible Top Deforming

I've had my convertible Mustang (I can't bring myself to call it a "vert") since June and have noticed no deformation in the top. I left it mostly down until a few weeks ago when the weather finally turned damp around here.

I had problems getting it to close until I finally left it closed most of the time for a few weeks. Now all is great.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: ConVERTible Top Deforming

Worse... no... more defined and noticable... yes...
Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 PM
msurebel

If the deformation is near the rear pillar, right at the back seats and is about 6 inches long, then it is the same problem I have had. Mine actually has left two small punctures in the top six inches apart and the deformation on the other side. I took it in as a warranty item and was told by one dealership that it was not a warranty issue. They could find nothing to cause the puncture. But they then directed me to the best shop in town to have it repaired and after walking up to my car he immediately told me that it WAS a warranty issue and that he had repaired several already. Mine is an 05 and he went on to tell me that all of the Hertz rental fleet has been having the problem and Ford has remedy the problem in the 06 models by inserting a plastic sheild under the top to protect the fabric from the frame. The problem is with a bent frame, so the frame has to be replaced as well, on the side that is damaged. He directed me to another dealership that has experienced the issue and my car is there now.

It would have cost me money if he hadn't known of the same problem. If you open the top about half way, just when the window is laying down flat, you can feel the frame through the fabric and the hole was exactly where the frame bends. He went on to tell me that when it completes the fold, it punctures the lower fold, as well. You could see how the holes lined up over one another.