Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orbitals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Orbitals?

I would HIGHLY recommend that you NOT use any type of buffer unless you have a LOT of experience with them and different applications of wax/fillers.

The reason why is no matter how careful you are you will most likely introduce micro scratches into the paint. I am no professional by any means but prior to my last truck purchase did a LOT of reading and research through many detail forums.

Micro scratches are very hard to see IF you take all the right precautions. The thing to know is that any type of scratch, even a micro scratch will reflect light and that is how you notice them and see them in the paint. When they are in a circular pattern, commonly done with buffers, they are very easy to see. When you apply a polish in a straight up and down motion they are in a straight pattern, if you get them. If they are in a straight pattern they are much harder to notice.

I have a sonic blue Lightning so it is a dark color, but not as dark as black. I would argue that micro scratches would be “almost” as easy to see in sonic blue as they would black but black is the “worse” color to show ANY imperfections.

Another precaution is using Microfiber towels. I use and have used Zaino for the past 5 years or so and would never use another product. Mainly because you will get the same great shine with Zaino by hand as you would most other products that require some type of buffer for the best results.

The following is a write up I did some time ago and maybe it will help to better explain the precautions I take with my Lightning. I have had my Lightning for just about 2 years with MANY applications of Zaino. You would be hard pressed to find ANY micro scratches in the paint and I completely attribute that to the process I use and products I use.

Sorry for such a long post and being **** that’s just how I am about my vehicles and I would hate to see someone “possibly” ruin a beautiful paint job on a beautiful vehicle such as the Mustang.

Here is the write up I did some time ago:

[quote] Zaino Application

NOTE: Zaino is a synthetic polish therefore it is important to remember that once applied it is not like an ordinary wax that can easily be stripped off. It basically has to wear off. You can “wax” over Zaino, but you can’t Zaino over wax. Zaino has to be applied to a wax free/grease free surface.

1. Wash truck with the Dawn dishwashing soap. This will strip any wax or grease residue that may be present on the paint. Use a good quality wash mitt such as sheep skin. Do not use just an ordinary cloth. A good wash mitt along with plenty of suds is designed to pick the dirt up into the mitt and not leave it on the surface of the mitt where it can get dragged around and introduce scratches in the paint.

Do NOT use the same wash mitt for the tires, rims and exhaust as you use on the paint. You could pick up some pieces of dirt etc that could cause scratches to your paint. Use an old wash mitt for the tire, rims and exhaust.

It is also a good idea (ok **** LOL) to use 2 wash buckets. One with the carwash soap and one with clean water. Once you have washed a section rinse the wash mitt in the clean water bucket then use the carwash soap bucket. This reduces the possibility of having some fine dirt in the wash mitt that could cause scratching.

2. Get a 20oz size or so plastic spray bottle. Fill it 2/3 full of clean water. Put about half a cap (from the Zaino car wash bottle) of the Zaino car wash in with the water. Put the spray nozzle back on and mix solution.

You will use this to lubricate the paint when claying the truck.

3. Use the Zaino, or any good brand of clay. If it is the Zaino clay it comes with two pieces in the bottle. Take one and separate it into 2 pieces. Main reason for doing this is IF you DROP it on the ground you MUST throw the clay away. Do NOT bother trying to get the dropped clay clean because you will never get all the little dirt specks out, some you won’t see but if you try to use it after dropping on the ground you WILL see nice little scratches in your paint.

Now with your piece of clay in hand, spray the mixed solution on an area of about 1 sq foot. Spray generously (the solution is cheap so don’t worry about over kill) if you spray to lightly if will dry up quick, which makes it easy for the clay to STICK to the paint (no problem) except when it sticks you’ll most likely to drop it. Move the clay back and forth or up and down (not in circular motions) until it feels smooth or feels like it needs more lubrication. You will know if you are picking stuff up because it feels a bit rough, or kind of like clicking while you go back and forth. When it is real smooth you know the area is done. You may also find most the truck feels smooth as you clay, but down around the fenders, bottom of the door etc will most likely be the areas that need the claying.

As your claying you want to turn the clay frequently, knead it where you’re turning the area of the clay you used into itself to expose an area of clay that has not been used yet. If you use the same area of the clay, especially after you feel a rough spot on the paint surface you will be dragging the stuff you picked up across the paint. Myself I would recommend after you do 1 – 2 areas to knead the clay and use and area that hasn’t been used yet.

4. After you finish claying wash the truck again, this time use the Zaino car wash.

5. Dry the truck using a good quality Microfiber towel or 100% cotton towels (made in the USA). The good brands not the cheap crap from overseas, because even though they say 100% cotton they have other materials in them that could scratch the paint, this goes for Microfiber towels as well. Stay away from the real cheap deals in auto parts stores etc. There may be other recommendations for drying from other post so you decide which suits you best. I would highly recommend using the Microfiber rather then the cotton towels because it will reduce your chances of introducing scratches.

6. After the truck has been dried your ready to polish using the Zaino. If you do not have the ZFX I would HIGHLY recommend you get the ZFX. The following is assuming you’re using the ZFX, if not the dry time may be much longer after you put a coat on.

7. Mix the ZFX with the Z2 or Z5 using the 2oz bottles provided in the kit. If you fill the bottle close to 2oz (approx. 1 1/2oz or 2/3rd full in the plastic bottle should be plenty for 3 coats) then you will want about 8 drops of the ZFX. Mix well for about a minute. Let sit for about 5 minutes while you get things ready.

8. Get your applicator ready by wetting it and ringing it out good. This helps so it doesn’t absorb a lot of the polish. After the 5 minutes re-shake the bottle again and now you’re ready to polish. On the sides of the truck, doors, fenders, tailgate etc put the polish on in an up and down motion (not circular) just straight up and down. Put it on LIGHTLY I would say about a dime size amount of polish on the applicator will do about a 2 foot section or so.

On the hood, do the same straight application, from the windshield to the front of the hood, not from one side to the other, from the windshield to the front of the truck.

The trick is doing very thin coats of Zaino. A 2oz bottle filled about 2/3’s full (with the ZFX kit) should be plenty to do 3 coats for the entire truck.

9. Once you are done applying the Zaino with the ZFX I would wait about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes find an area you can run you’re finger across to see if it is clear and shinny or if it looks smeared.

It WILL be HARD TO SEE the Zaino polish when it has hazed if you have a light color like silver. I had silver and it is a pain to see but now I have sonic blue and you can tell a
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I would also NOT recommend using an orbital buffer. I've seen too many people mess up the paint with those things. Sure, there must be a right way, better products and the right applications but it's not worth the risk. Then you will have to take it to a professional to use a buffer correctly to work out the swirls.

Nice write up on detailing using Zaino. It seems like you abreviated their many page detailing guide into readable format and added your own experinces. It's a lot easier to read your version.

You repeated their advice on towels however and that's the part that confuses me the most. The stores they say to buy the cotton towels in no longer carry those towels and haven't for at least a few years. I use some 100% cotton towels that we used as bath towels. They had been used and washed countless times but were still very soft and plush so I sent the wife to get herself some new bath towels and I took the old ones. I've never used microfiber towels because I've heard some horror stories on those as well if you get the wrong ones. I'd like to try them but not sure how to tell a good 1 from a bad 1. Can you recommend a good place to get them and a reasonable price? Thanks -Joe
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

First, yes you’re correct, in large part my write up includes basically what Zaino outlines. I just re-wrote it with some of my experiences/recommendations from learning.

Second, I apologize if it seems conflicting between the 100% cotton towels and Microfiber towels. When I first started using Zaino on the truck before the one I have now I used 100% cotton towels. That is until I was recommended a place to buy some good quality Microfiber towels. Once I started using them, approx 3 years ago, I would never use a 100% cotton towel on my vehicle. The Microfiber towels make it seem like the 100% cotton is sand paper on the paint. They are safe and soft but not as safe and soft as Microfiber.

Here are a few sites where I purchased my Microfiber towels:

These are the Microfiber towels I use with detailing spray:
http://www.premiumautocare.com/lep-sp2040.html

These are the Microfiber waffle weave towels for drying, same place as above
http://www.premiumautocare.com/lep-ssww1624.html

I use these Microfiber DF Concurs for buffing off the Zaino:
http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

Here is a good source for information about Microfiber towels. Scroll down towards the bottom to see a magnified picture showing the paint after the use of a 100% cotton towel vs. Microfiber towel. Kind of scary but it is highly magnified:
http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=44

Old 11-27-2005, 01:28 PM
FastBackDan
2nd Gear Member

yes & yes. easy to use, just don't let it spin in one place. I bought mine at sears years ago.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:24 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

First, yes you’re correct, in large part my write up includes basically what Zaino outlines. I just re-wrote it with some of my experiences/recommendations from learning.

Second, I apologize if it seems conflicting between the 100% cotton towels and Microfiber towels. When I first started using Zaino on the truck before the one I have now I used 100% cotton towels. That is until I was recommended a place to buy some good quality Microfiber towels. Once I started using them, approx 3 years ago, I would never use a 100% cotton towel on my vehicle. The Microfiber towels make it seem like the 100% cotton is sand paper on the paint. They are safe and soft but not as safe and soft as Microfiber.

Here are a few sites where I purchased my Microfiber towels:

These are the Microfiber towels I use with detailing spray:
http://www.premiumautocare.com/lep-sp2040.html

These are the Microfiber waffle weave towels for drying, same place as above
http://www.premiumautocare.com/lep-ssww1624.html

I use these Microfiber DF Concurs for buffing off the Zaino:
http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

Here is a good source for information about Microfiber towels. Scroll down towards the bottom to see a magnified picture showing the paint after the use of a 100% cotton towel vs. Microfiber towel. Kind of scary but it is highly magnified:
http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=44

Thanks for posting this....I went to the last link eventually and then went to their forum, read it, and then decided to go cleant he engine bay as per some of their instructions and what do I find in there? A BUNCH OF FREAKING TERMITES RUNNING UP AND DOWN THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE WELL!!!! it was like in silience of the lambs...i gave them the hose. Good thing you posted that, or i would have had in infestation!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Sonic Boom NH, thanks for the info on the microfiber towels. I will definitely take that advice! -Joe