Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri-Ax Vs Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tri-Ax Vs Hurst Shifter

ORIGINAL: TorchRedBeauty

I have the Hurst and love it even with no break-in. Sure, it's stiffer, but that's what I was going for. I agree on the part about not wrenching down the linkage nut. I tightened it until snug, then backed it out a bit with lock-tite on it so it won't go anywhere. I have no problems with any of the shifts now and would recommend it to anyone.

-TRB
That's very odd since the hust shifter for the 05/06 is a one piece unit and doesn't have a stop bolt to make adjustments????????????????
Old 01-17-2006, 05:02 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

I have the Hurst and love it even with no break-in. Sure, it's stiffer, but that's what I was going for. I agree on the part about not wrenching down the linkage nut. I tightened it until snug, then backed it out a bit with lock-tite on it so it won't go anywhere. I have no problems with any of the shifts now and would recommend it to anyone.

-TRB
That's very odd since the hust shifter for the 05/06 is a one piece unit and doesn't have a stop bolt to make adjustments????????????????
Which part is odd? I didn't make any adjustments to the shifter. It worked just fine out of the box.

-TRB
Old 01-17-2006, 06:58 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

now im even more confused on what to get, i kinda like that 40 dollar Saleen thingamabob does it really work well?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

-TRB
Which part is odd? I didn't make any adjustments to the shifter. It worked just fine out of the box.

-TRB
Nothing relating to your post torch. I was just commenting in general about the lack of adjustment. I was surprised hurst didn't have that ability. In fairness to hurst supporters, for street I think it would have been a great shifter. I was dissapointed at the track cause I noticed a split second delay at nuetral between shifts. It didn't seem to float into 2nd and 3rd, it seemed to shift to nuetral first then to 2nd, nuetral then to 3rd, etc.. For the track, that actually cost me a couple 10ths I'm figuring so that's where my main complaint came from + the stupid ford racing deleting the stick is flat out dumb. Maybe I would have had better results if I just got the hurst set-up from anywhere but ford racing.

EDIT - LOL - I drove a car with the saleen shifter and I thought it felt real close to stock so I even posted I was going to get one. Then I went to Saleen's site and find out it was only the ****!!!! No wonder it felt so close to stock cause it was!!!! LOL
Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

-TRB

-TRB
Nothing relating to your post torch. I was just commenting in general about the lack of adjustment. I was surprised hurst didn't have that ability. In fairness to hurst supporters, for street I think it would have been a great shifter. I was dissapointed at the track cause I noticed a split second delay at nuetral between shifts. It didn't seem to float into 2nd and 3rd, it seemed to shift to nuetral first then to 2nd, nuetral then to 3rd, etc.. For the track, that actually cost me a couple 10ths I'm figuring so that's where my main complaint came from + the stupid ford racing deleting the stick is flat out dumb. Maybe I would have had better results if I just got the hurst set-up from anywhere but ford racing.

EDIT - LOL - I drove a car with the saleen shifter and I thought it felt real close to stock so I even posted I was going to get one. Then I went to Saleen's site and find out it was only the ****!!!! No wonder it felt so close to stock cause it was!!!! LOL
I don't think the split second delay you are talking about is caused by the Hurst. As far as I can tell, it's just a "feature" of the stock transmission. The Hurst is just based on a ball joint, so I don't see how the Hurst could cause the shift delay. Before I installed the Hurst, I paid more attention to the stock shifter and noticed that the delay is there in the stock shifter as well. I think the Hurst shifter just makes it slightly more pronounced as it does with the whole shifting experience. It could also have something to do with the fact that with a short throw shifter you are giving up leverage in favor of a shorter throw which would make shifting into any gear a little tougher. Just my $.02.

-TRB
Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Your 2 cents is right on the money and I am also looking at putting in a T81 trans set up for that (amoung other) reasons. But I have driven with several shifters and I noticed that lag more pronounced in the hurst. My thinking is the hurst stick is slightly curved and the shifter is designed around that curve for throw. By ford racing deleting the stick and just having a threaded bolt sticking straight up for a **** to mount flush top, it slightly threw off the throw of the shifter. I could be wrong but that's what I'm thinking. Like I said, Ford never said anything and won't return the product. I would like to feel a hurst shifter with the hurst stick it is supposed to come with to make a a fair comparison. No one around me has one yet so I haven't been able to.

I wanted to point these facts out so I can be clear that I'm not saying I thought the Hurst shifter sucks (I don't know yet) I am saying the Ford Racing version of the Hurst shifter sucks...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM
rgunty

I HAVE THE STEEDA AND I HAVE DRIVEN STICK FOR MANY YEARS. MY BROTHER HAS A NEW VETTE AND I FEEL MINE IS BETTER THAN HIS. WHEN HE DROVE MY CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME HE WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH MY ***STOCK*** SHIFTER. I DID FESS UP THOUGH.
I ALSO COULD NOT DECIDE ON HURST OR STEEDA BUT I'M GLAD I SPENT THE EXTRA.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 PM
wattmhite
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna Install the Steeda I think, it sounds like the hurst just doesnt work for some people. Steeda seems like the safer way to go, what about a clutch? I feel that my stock clutch sucks!